Elephant Pearl

Thanks Slraep, for clearing that up. Now I finally believe there is such a thing as an Elephant "Pearl", although it's pretty disgusting! ew! :eek:

These latest posts remind me I have some information from an email exchange with a person who claims to own 2 elephant pearls:
I can explain to you about the elephant pearl.The elephants tusks are hollow,it may be a blood clot or foreign body,which gets coatedit is very smooth & oval in shape.One in 10,000 elephants have this pearl,some times there a few sometimes one may find almost 20 in each tusk,There are insatnces in Sri lanka(very very rare)that domesticated elephants do have this pearls inside their tusks(I know positively there was only one instant)when the elephant bends down up lifts its head one could faintly hear the pearls running down the tusks. Since the lephant life span is 80 years,one has to wait till the elephant dies.One cannot carve a tusk & make it smooth,even usuing power tools,as it tends to split,to images are carved suing a sharp knife.To test it one has to heat the "Pearl"in candle light it turns colour todull red. I cannot value it,I could post picture. Thanks, K

Well,I do own two Gaja Muthu.As I had explained in my letter ,the elephant"s trunk is hollow,it has a long cavity ,like the Oysters in the sea a foreign body which I would seriously consider as a small blood clot,over the years it gets coated with ivory,very often you do get several of these small "Pearls" of different sizes,I am not sure how many in each tusk,whether it forms only one tusk.All I can state it is very very rare.I need not reiterate that you cannot ask a wild elephant to bend its head up & down,I am quite positive that a certain domestic elephant owner in Sri Lanka has heard the noise of these"Pearls" running up and down the tusk.
One cannot have access to these pearls till the elephant dies,& an elephants"s life span is almost 70 to 80yrs,these can only obtained after the death of the elephant.
The two specimens of Gajamuthu I posses are very smooth not round but oval of two different sizes,rather heavy.I shall very soon take a picture & scan it for you.
With kind regards,
K
Here is an answer from me:
Hi K
How did you acquire those pearls? What kind of evidence do you have that they are actually as claimed? The ones that have been available, so far, for scientific scrutiny had marks of human workmanship on them. I would like to see an authentic elephant pearl that passes scientific glances through a microscope. In any case, this is material that should go up as posts.

Last edited:
Here is a second statement from the same person
I cannot divulge the source,however I was offered 20 Elephant pearls,all of the same texture,oval in shape of different sizes.I bought two as I could not afford,besides I had to take it out of the country,as it is an offence to take out these treasures. In 1992 there was an elephant pearl that was put in the auction from an individual from a place called Ratnapura,subsquently I am aware of a domesticated elephant owner it"s tusks had pearls running down.I shall try to get the owner's name. I am sending this e-mail from my work place,when I do have some time I shall go through my diary & get you a name of an individual by the name of .......... who is attached to the World Wild Life sopciety as an adviser,it was who informed me that it is formed from a blood clot. You might wonder why I donot wish to divulge the source,it was obtained from an abdoned temple in the Jungles in Sri Lanka which have not been explored. I assume this would have been gifted to the temple by King who had ruled almost 500 to 600 yrs ago as a gift & invaribly buried,The source who got this for me also provided me very old antique artifacts. I donot have anytime,when I do get some free time I will send you a photograph. Thanks, K
And my answer:
Hi K
I will be interested in the follow up on this story. The theory that it is blood clots is interesting. I appreciate your trust to tell me as much as you have.

Honestly, I can’t say I trust your source. Anyone who would steal from a temple must not believe in karma (in the sense that Westerners use the term). The antiquities market is on a level with horse trading in my opinion. It is full of fakes, too. It is now happening that many authentic things stolen by grave robbers in the past, are being demanded back by the original country or tribe.

What benefit does owning an elephant pearl have? Is it the same benefit for an ill-gotten one?

Caitlin

Last edited:
Now for a lesson in Karma:
Janauray 17th,2008.

Dear Caitlin,

I assumed the individual who sold it to me would have stolen,however if he told me he inherited I would have accept his word,I might take the liberty to enlighten you ther work"Karma"is a Sankrit word which means "Your fate",it does not has no origin to to the western world.
According to Hindu & Buddhist Philosophy(Buddhism is a part of Hindusim,as Lord Buddha was born as a Hindu)we get mental satisfaction by saying"It is your Karma"bringing to light that do not commit any sins during your present life,as you may have to pay for it in your next live,as Hindus & Buddhist beleive in rebirth and Lord Buddha who was born a Hindu preached against the caste system among the Hindus.Nevertheless after 2552 years the caste system remain a dominant factor among the Buddhists and Hindus.
If one has moral values all the valuable which were plundered by the European colonists should be returned to rite ful owners.There will be no anything left in the ENGLISH CROWN JEWELS,after all the large Diamond on British Queens crown is KOHINOOR stolen from India.I can provide tons of evidence.Every peace from all the Museum from the First world countries are either pilfered,even the lates Iraq war in 2003.
I hate to deviate from the subject,however if you wish to know about "Elephant Pearls"you may contact
When I do get time,I send a photograph.

Thanks,
K
And my answer:
HI K
I did not mean to stand in judgment of you, I am sure you are a wonderful person and have the best motives. The following is my opinion in general and not meant to apply to you, specifically, any more than to me. I was making a statement about stolen antiquities in general, and that nothing will be forgotten in this life or the next. There is a growing worldwide movement to demand the return of many antiquities and the response to the demand is growing, too.

Here in America, people steal pots and jewelry from ancient gravesites. It is illegal and the loot must be sold under the counter, thus their value to science is lost, not to mention the loss to science of the actual site which is ripped apart willy-nilly to grab the valuables. The Nazis stole art from France and when a piece turns up now, it is often reclaimed by its original owners or heirs. I do not think there is a statute of limitations on stolen antiquities; no matter how old they are they are still stolen until they are returned.

I am totally in favor of returning the many jewels stolen by the English crown. I believe the Indian government is timidly pleading for the return of some things and England is reluctantly returning small token pieces. Egypt is demanding returns from France too. I think the jewel grab the English crown made when they conquered India is a prime example of greed. I have long viewed the English crown jewels and their public display with disgust and would be delighted when India is able to demand them back. I am horrified that people still rob ancient sites and I regard the objects stolen as tainted and the people who take them as knowing they are stealing, but thinking they can steal and get away with it.

When a wrong is committed, it is a logical fallacy to justify that wrong by citing other similar wrongs, even if they are widely practiced.
Antiquities dealers know that much of their trade, if not all, is stolen. Maybe their logic says if they don’t do it, someone else will, so they may as well prevent another from getting the profit. That, too, is a logical fallacy.

Thank you for your lesson in Hinduism. I first studied it when I was fifteen and visited India year before last. Still my knowledge of Hinduism is far from nuanced; I am still a westerner and filter things through that lens.

On the real subject at hand, I am interested in learning more about elephant pearls and look forward to the establishment of their reality as a proven fact as well as a religious icon. So far, the elephant pearls that have been studied by scientists show marks of human workmanship. I look forward to seeing one authenticated as being of natural origin. So far, I have seen a number of photos. Some of them look entirely different than others, so I am taking a skeptical viewpoint of them as natural objects until a world class ethnobiologist or other such person will study one in detail. I hope that when the elephant with the sounds in its tusk dies, the people who are caring for it allow photos of the pearl, in situ. To me that would be the best proof for people who have only seen specimens of phony elephant pearls.

Sincerely,

Caitlin Williams,
Admin
Pearl-Guide.com

I don't find that photo Slraep put up of the infection in situ very easy to see at all. I still need more convincing evidence of the reality of naturally occurring elephant pearls.

I do believe that many people in India do believe in them. If people who own such pearls believe in them- I don't see the difference between that belief and Dumbo's feather, if their elephant pearls are manufactured items.

The blood clot theory was put forth by an Indian expert in wild elephants. I do have his name and email, but decided to withhold it because "K" never did post about his opinion. I do not see this theory or the infection theory as being equivalent.

So this mystery is still unfinished for me.

Nevertheless, the story itself was very interesting to me for a number of reasons.

Creepy! If anyone hates their dentist, forward that article... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of some folk's desire to receive in a jar whatever organic proceeds from various types of extractive surgery :eek:

i am very much interested in this topic so i joined this forum.. My Friend has come from India & has Brought With him an "Elephant Pearl" I call it so b'cos we have got it tested from Dubai Central Laboratory which is registered with CIBJO...
it is an astonishing 642.56ct I am attaching a copy of the certificate for your refence .. pls let me know what you think .. also he is willing to sell it .......

Luv

Wondering if this is the same pearl....... In the current issue of "Gem & Gemology" Spring 2008, page 86; I will quote only three sentences from the article. "The Dubai Gemstone Laboratory recently received for identification a 642 ct opaque, banded, yellow-to-brown and white sample that the client represented to be an elephant pearl."........... (conclusion) "The structural characteristics and gemological properties of this sample were consistent with those reported for imitation elephant pearls by Mann and Brown (2006). Consequently, it was identified as a manufactured object fashioned from a molar tooth of, most likely, an Asian elephant."

Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
"The structural characteristics and gemological properties of this sample were consistent with those reported for imitation elephant pearls by Mann and Brown (2006). Consequently, it was identified as a manufactured object fashioned from a molar tooth of, most likely, an Asian elephant."

Thanks Gail! That was an excellent piece of research.....This thread probably has the most comprehensive bibliography on manufactured elephant pearls and you just made it better.

Now I wonder where a copy of Mann and Brown (2006) is?..........

We will get to the bottom of this, even if it takes years more to do so.

After comparing the picture of the "elephant pearl":rolleyes: in posts 52 and 54 with the picture on page 87 in "Gems & Gemology", I am convinced that it the same object. The shapes and positioning of the yellow, brown & white bandings are exactly the same in all three pictures.

Thank you Caitlin and Blaire for the compliments.

Gail

what you want exactly !! do you know at what price !! only royal family can own it ,,, ???

Any one can own the manufactured elephant pearls. They are actually common. And they are the only ones found so far, manufactured.

I am groping for what you are trying to say....If a natural elephant pearl were to occur, it would be so rare that it would end up in the hands of the elite, since such a high value is placed on them that an average man could not buy them. Consequently, the market for them, the demand for them, is far huger than the actual occurance of them- if they have occurred. I am not sure about that, but I won't rule it out, that they have occurred naturally.

So far, no one has offered a genuine elephant pearl up for modern scientific analysis. Every one studied so far has microscopic marks of workmanship, and why would an elephant pearl be made out of fossilized mammoth tusks anyway? Some analyzed elephant pearls are made of fossil ivory. Other are made of elephant tusk. I have even seen a silica version of an elephant pearl.

They are clearly some other meaning of the word "pearl"

Have you got one?

all what i can tell you is it exist and only special kind of people can do the deal !! but i still wonder what you want to do with this pearle ????

Can you post a photo of it? That is what we can do, look at posted photos. I would love to see some evidence of natural elephant pearls.

Back