Earring nacre repair?

massrog

Hello recently my wife was trying on a pair of half pearl earrings and the Nacre popped of the bead in her hand. Is there any way to re-attach it or should we look to replace the pearl? It looks to me that it has been glued once before?

It seems to me it could be glued on again. You could use two-part epoxy. Others may have other glue or cement recommendations.

It seems to me it could be glued on again. You could use two-part epoxy. Others may have other glue or cement recommendations.
If those are REAL Diamonds, then I would definitely remove those pearls and glue on new ones. Value of the finding should match value of the pearl, or at least close. That's what I could do. There is a seller on Etsy that sells high quality 1/2 drill Akoya pearls in many sizes. I've bought from them before. Let me know if you need a link.

Hello recently my wife was trying on a pair of half pearl earrings and the Nacre popped of the bead in her hand. Is there any way to re-attach it or should we look to replace the pearl? It looks to me that it has been glued once before?

Also, it seems to be that the size of these pearls is just a bit too small for this setting. I'd want the new pearls to almost touch the diamonds and not have so much room between the setting and the pearl.

Yes, that is actually what we call a 3/4 Pearl: a cultured pearl that has been ground or cut to resemble a mabe (if a MOP backing is added).
You only need to clean the inner surface and the bead and add some epoxy or super glue, position the nacre against the other piece, press...and presto!

Yes, that is actually what we call a 3/4 Pearl: a cultured pearl that has been ground or cut to resemble a mabe (if a MOP backing is added).
You only need to clean the inner surface and the bead and add some epoxy or super glue, position the nacre against the other piece, press...and presto!
Definitely cheaper and easier than replacing both pearls!

Thanks Douglas!! I'd hoped it would be that simple.
Definitely cheaper and easier than replacing both pearls!
Thank you for all the great info too!

Thanks Douglas!! I'd hoped it would be that simple.

Thank you for all the great info too!
I worked with hundreds of these pearls...they are very popular in Cortez pearl jewelry. If you don't grind too much (leave it at 3/4 as the name implies) they just never do this (split in two pieces).

Back