Dyed Black Freshwater?

MoonSprinkles

I was wondering about an opinion for these pearls. They were very inexpensive (don't remember where I ordered them from) but are very special as I wore them for my wedding 6 years ago. I was a poor college student but I really wanted to wear black pearls for my tropical themed wedding (I had a traditional white dress though) so I got these.
They pass the tooth test and in some lights have pretty overtones and in others look rather dull and sooty. Just somewhat poor quality dyed freshwater? Any opinions on length that looks best for me? Or color of thread to use for knotting them? I'm not sure the black thread that is currently on there is doing much for the color. I am going to restring the necklace and bracelet possibly into one longer necklace, like I said they have a lot of meaning for me.

IMG_20180813_101301961.jpgIMG_20180813_102004462.jpgIMG_20180813_100100530.jpgIMG_20180813_101321784_HDR.jpg

Those are dyed freshwater pearls. If you want a long necklace, you might consider interspersing tiny gemstone or glass beads in between the pearls, or even wire-wrapping each pearl for a slightly more open look (which will also add quite a bit of length). If you want a more classic knotted look and think the back thread is a little harsh, you might try more of a smoke or grey - I know the thread Pattye offers comes in a huge variety of colors, so you might want to check that out. The nice thing about pearls is that you can make/reinvent a new look whenever you get tired of the old one!

Those are dyed freshwater pearls. If you want a long necklace, you might consider interspersing tiny gemstone or glass beads in between the pearls, or even wire-wrapping each pearl for a slightly more open look (which will also add quite a bit of length). If you want a more classic knotted look and think the back thread is a little harsh, you might try more of a smoke or grey - I know the thread Pattye offers comes in a huge variety of colors, so you might want to check that out. The nice thing about pearls is that you can make/reinvent a new look whenever you get tired of the old one!

Thank you for the info! I love the wire wrapping idea I may try that..I've done a bit of wire wrapping mostly limited to making secure ends for my existing pendant chains but had not thought of trying it with pearls. I want to become proficient in knotting pearls so that I can do the upkeep for my own strands, the hardest part is figuring out the size of the thread but I already have questions sent to Pattye about the thread I am interested in from her. I am definitely a Question Pest.

You will find that restringing and combining the necklace and bracelet will shorten the strand a little, not only because one clasp will be eliminated, but also because restringing will eliminate the little gaps that developed over time where the thread stretched.

You could buy some more dyed fwp to add in, but they may not match.
You could also add round gold or gold-filled beads as spacers every 5 pearls or so. I suggest 3mm beads, in lieu of a knot.
Garnet beads also go well with dyed FWP and are not costly. Look for 3mm.
You might try Night thread. It's a very deep blue, a little lighter than black. I like using Night with my dark peacock Tahitians.

You will find that restringing and combining the necklace and bracelet will shorten the strand a little, not only because one clasp will be eliminated, but also because restringing will eliminate the little gaps that developed over time where the thread stretched.

You could buy some more dyed fwp to add in, but they may not match.
You could also add round gold or gold-filled beads as spacers every 5 pearls or so. I suggest 3mm beads, in lieu of a knot.
Garnet beads also go well with dyed FWP and are not costly. Look for 3mm.
You might try Night thread. It's a very deep blue, a little lighter than black. I like using Night with my dark peacock Tahitians.

I like those suggestions! And I will look for the night thread as that sounds pretty and I think would go well with them. Garnets are also a favorite of mine! I'm just trying to decide if short or long looks better on me, I am more comfortable in the shorter but feel like long looks better.

MoonSprinkles, The sentimental value of your wedding pearls makes them "priceless," even if they weren't expensive. The pearls look quite round to the eye when worn. Probably the colors don't show best in bright sunlight, but I see lots of color in your photos.

Yes, I agree NIGHT probably would be a good color to restring with. You might want to consider what kind of necklines you prefer when deciding whether you want a shorter or longer necklace. ( Ha, I expect there will be more pearl necklaces in your future!)

We love questions here on the forum and are always happy to make suggestions and mentor anyone who wants to take up pearl stringing.

MoonSprinkles, The sentimental value of your wedding pearls makes them "priceless," even if they weren't expensive. The pearls look quite round to the eye when worn. Probably the colors don't show best in bright sunlight, but I see lots of color in your photos.

Yes, I agree NIGHT probably would be a good color to restring with. You might want to consider what kind of necklines you prefer when deciding whether you want a shorter or longer necklace. ( Ha, I expect there will be more pearl necklaces in your future!)

We love questions here on the forum and are always happy to make suggestions and mentor anyone who wants to take up pearl stringing.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I will try as you suggest with the color! My necklines (I assume you mean of clothes) vary quite a bit. Mostly I am trying to find a length that looks flattering yet is acceptable to my sensory processing disorder. My go-to length of everything is 16", seems to work perfectly for me, (took me years to figure that out) but I am not sure it looks as well with pearls, especially larger ones.

I would give them a wash in mild soap and warm water and when they are dry pick out any that have lost their lustre. From the very best pick out enough pearls to make up a 16 in necklace using the largest and shiniest at the front. You have some nice colours in there. The left overs can be used in a bracelet or two.

That is a good idea, another thing I had not thought of. It's funny, 16 inches is my preferred length for all necklaces (it's not a choker on me as some sites say for that length it's a bit below my neck, around collar bone generally) but I am never sure if pearls are flattering for me at that length. Something about my neck just doesn't look as right with the shorter strands, though they are much easier for me to wear comfort-wise. I will play around with these and see what I can do. Thanks for the advice!

Here is the finished product! Thanks to the stringing tutorial from PearlDreams and some additional help and advice from that thread I have learned to actually knot pearls properly (I was doing it before but not this method, and not this neatly, and definitely not as well). I took the good advice of Katbran and picked out the very best out of the necklace and bracelet and ended up with a much shorter but IMO much better looking, necklace. I think there is a great improvement. I washed them and dried them and then strung them on the Beader's Secret (which is amazing) with a 14k gold-filled clasp, replacing the giant spring ring clasp that was on them before. It was also my first time ever using gimp!
The only thing is a few of my knots from where I first started out are a bit looser than the ones from where I gained confidence later on. It is not terrible noticeable but is visible in one of the pics. This will probably annoy me so I will probably restring at some point but for now I think I will leave them and wear them and see how they relax.
Here are several pictures that show them from different angles.
IMG_20180825_085823122.jpgimageIMG 8373

Super job, MoonSprinkles! Those look lovely on you at that length!
Thank you very much! It is funny how I really wanted it longer but once I sorted out the less pretty pearls I love the look at this length.
So pretty, a great length and look how even your knots are! PD's tutorial is the BEST! What beautiful overtones on the pearls, too! Wishing you a ton of compliments!
Thank you so so much! I was honestly pretty impressed with how it came out, but I know it's not me, it's the tutorial! I've been knotting for awhile and nothing ever looked this good before! :p It was fun to see how the pears looked so much perkier, for want of a better word, once I put the best ones on this length. I could not have done it without the advice from this forum and all of you!

Moonsprinkles, I think I redid my first necklace 5 or 6 times: I learned, I improved, I changed techniques, I changed thread, I changed clasps. I counted it all as pleasurable learning & practice.
Elizabeth

Moonsprinkles, I think I redid my first necklace 5 or 6 times: I learned, I improved, I changed techniques, I changed thread, I changed clasps. I counted it all as pleasurable learning & practice.
Elizabeth

I am known for making things and then demolishing them for use in either a re-do or a different project altogether. My husband is always like didn't you just make that......? But it is how we improve! I am just thrilled I found a technique that works so well.

It's definitely YOU who accomplished this-- congratulations! Looks wonderful!

The polyester thread sold as Serafil and Beaders Secret was a game-changer for many of us. Before that many of us struggled with silk, or else had to make do with only white or moss green Power Pro. This synthetic thread combines ease of use with strength, washability, non-stretchability and a generous range of colors. As a result, more and more people are trying their hand at knotting up their own pearls, and each person who succeeds emboldens someone else to try as well. :)

Last edited:
It's definitely YOU who accomplished this-- congratulations! Looks wonderful!

Beader's Secret was a game-changer for many of us. Before that many of us struggled with silk, or else had to make do with only white or moss green Power Pro. Beader's Secret combines ease of use with strength, washability, non-stretchability and a generous range of colors. As a result, more and more people are trying their hand at knotting up their own pearls, and each person who succeeds emboldens someone else to try as well. :)

Thank you very much; I have tried other tutorials in the past and yours was the one that finally clicked for me! I never tried power pro, but silk and I had a violent relationship. It was always knotting, breaking, etc, and you had to stretch it and wet it before you would use it, it was not fun. I feel like I have so many more option now with the beader's secret and this new knowledge!

I'm so glad it was helpful! I loathed using silk, myself. Maybe it was just the silk cord with the needle that was the problem; maybe I would have done better with the kind that didn't twist all by itself into knots! :p But I am over silk-- completely over it.

Except for scarves. I adore silk scarves. :D

I'm so glad it was helpful! I loathed using silk, myself. Maybe it was just the silk cord with the needle that was the problem; maybe I would have done better with the kind that didn't twist all by itself into knots! :p But I am over silk-- completely over it.

Except for scarves. I adore silk scarves. :D

Ugh I had forgotten how it used to twist itself up till you reminded me, lol! I'm with you there....silk scarves for the win, silk thread, nope. Oh, and I also love my silk pillowcase!

Back