Double strand Akoya pearls w/engraved gold clasp

Dianna

Hello,

I inherited this stunning (in my opinion!) double strand necklace 1977 from my husband's uncle when his wife died. I don't know when she had the necklace made, but I didn't know her until 1969-70, and she had them then. I do remember her telling me that she had order the necklace to be made on one of their travels, and waited quite some time to receive it.

Prior to the string breaking, a few years ago, I occasionally wore and enjoyed them, but the style is now too formal for the casual lifestyle I lead. I am considering having them restrung into 2 separate necklaces or 1 strand and bracelet(s) for daughters. The box in which they were given to me has no identification, but it is dark blue (or black) with gold border. It may or may not be leather.

In doing research, I came across your wonderful site, and learned not only of the varied qualities, but varied values, of Akoya pearls. I would greatly appreciate an opinion as to where the pearls originated, and value of these pearls, if it is possible to do so from the photos. Thanks so much.

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone can give me an educated opinion as to where these beautiful, warm pearls might have originated, and the price range they might fall within. before I make a decision as to what to do with the necklace.
150 total pearls--one loose
Pearls are perfectly sized
Gold engraved clasp
Double strand w/longest strand 12" from clasp (see photo
Aunt Flossie's pearls2.JPGAunt Flossie's pearls1.JPGAunt Flossie's pearls3.JPG

Dianna,

Welcome to Pearl-Guide! Lucky you to inherit pearls!

The photos are a bit small and the closer- up one is a bit out of focus. Could you try again-- larger, sharper? See if you can include a couple of photos showing blemishes (there should be some pearls with a blemish.)

Paul, thanks for response. The pearls are at the jeweler, with some other pieces, pending what I decide to do. After discovering this site, I called the jeweler and put off doing anything so that I can better educate myself, and make the best decision as to how to proceed. My daughter is coming from CT tomorrow for the weekend, but I will try to pick them up and take better photos and post them on Saturday or Sunday. When I retrieve them, I'll recheck for flaws with a more critical eye!

Back