does anyone know what kind of pearl this is?

nicoleharper

I have this pearl, I got it in Florida, probably 12 years ago now, but I found it in an oyster, someone told me it was a rare purple pearl, but I don't see purple. any information would be greatly appreciated! It is gritty when I rub it against my tooth. I don't have a ruler handy at the moment so I can't measure it. 0819pearl.jpg

Hi,

Please tell us more! Was this pearl in an oyster you were eating? Or did you buy an oyster from a vendor, in order to open it to find a pearl?

Many tourist areas have these vendors who sell freshwater pearls that have previously been placed inside oysters, to sell to tourists.

It looks like a cultured pearl was secretly inserted into your oyster as romantic gesture. The chances of a large, perfectly round nacreous pearl being inside an edible oyster are astronomical. If it were mine, I would find a pair of earrings to match - very pretty. :)

No romance, eh? Too bad. I was dreaming up a handsome guy. I had a Dutch Uncle who would have slipped a pearl in my oyster just to thrill me if he'd had the luck to think of it.

I'm still having a hard time with believing that it naturally occurred in an edible oyster because it is perfectly round and smooth - and very large for the type of mollusk it would have grown in. You could have it tested by a laboratory, but maybe your dentist would be willing to do an x-ray for free if you tell him your story. If it has a bead in it - not natural. No bead - natural or a solid-nacre freshwater pearl. That would narrow it down a bit. :)

Back