Do People Still Waste Their Time Buying Pearls Of All Things On eBay ???

I buy strands on ebay, but I generally never pay more than $2 per strand shipped. At that price quality isn't an issue, but it gives me a challange to make fun, interesting FW strands I can sell for $10 and still make a profit.

Actually, I don't have any for sale as of yet, but perhaps I will make a photo album.

I would hardly risk buying anything good quality on ebay, it is hard to make a profit on anything on ebay honestly anymore. I saw a strand last night that called itself tahitian, but I have never seen tahitians that shape, although I have some FWs that are ;)

Everyone else has mentioned good points, but it's imperative that you understand the way Paypal and filing claims works. I buy almost everything on eBay (designer clothes, DVDs, sunglasses, school supplies, and yes, sometimes pearls). Since eBay changed its policies regarding feedback, auctions have never been safer for buyers and more dangerous for sellers. Paypal almost always sides with buyers (claims for misrepresented items, delivery issues, etc). In fact, about 90-95% of auctions that I see for pearls (since most are located internationally) would be an easy claim-win for buyers. Buy pearls, wait for the extremely slow shipping, file an "item not received" claim, and with no tracking (even with tracking- doesn't recognize some carriers and don't get me started on DC), seller has no proof, buyer's win, and full refund plus item. With no negative feedback option for buyers, buyers can easily defraud pearl sellers. eBay also started this nifty little thing of giving out coupons to "random" accounts (although I highly suspect they use them to try and entice buyers who have filed disputes to re-buy), they're even rewarding this sort of behavior.

Bottom line: know how paypal works, and you've got eBay and Paypal on your side for almost any purchase. Most sellers either don't know this stuff or simply don't take measures to protect themselves.

On another note, I've been very happy with druzydesigns.

Very true. There is absolutly no risk if you pay via paypal and aren't lazy about things. On the other hand, buyers literally are blackmailing the sellers to get good feedback. They may not be doing so on purpose, but personally I would rather give someone a refund and let the keep the pearls than have someone neg me saying I was scamming.

Bottom line though, people who are selling from China are not selling their best product online, I guarantee it. People (some who post here) go there personally and buy the best stuff, and the difference in quality that would make a good deal of difference in price doesn't show well no matter how well the thing is lit. You would need a high-res movie to show that sort of thing.

Plus the ebay fees are crazy, so you have to pay for that, (usually done with shipping fee packing)

Basically, if you want to be sure you are getting the best deal on ebay, just make sure they arent a newbie on ther with less than 20 feedback and you'll be fine.

Back