Do pearls hold their value?

Artpearl

Do pearls hold their value? This question came to me after reading the "Vintage Mikimoto Pearl" thread.

Pearls are only worth what you can sell them for. Generally there is no, or very little pawn value, unlike gold jewelry.

Miki's retain value based on the condition of the pearls, having the original clasp, box and paperwork.

Buying pearls as an investment isn't the best choice. Probably natural pearls retain their value best over time.

Great answer! I mostly buy pearls for their beauty and the happiness they bring, but I do collect a few things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to buy pearls as an investment. I was just curious on the valuation of pearls. Does it lose value as soon as you drive it off the lot?

Of course I will only buy pearls that I love.

Yes, in the sense, that you just paid retail and to resell, you will only get a wholesale value to allow it to be resold for retail, again. Just like comic books, but harder to find the resellers.

Good answer Pattye,

As South Sea Pearl Farmers, we do get asked if the pearls are a good investment.

It's not that common but when asked, I say to put your money away and look elsewhere if you want an investment.

South Sea Pearls are a luxury item. If you are seduced by their beauty, you buy what you can afford and never considder resale value as that would only highlight the shallowess of your love for them.

Generally, I don't think so Valerene.

If they belong to a famous person, collectors might be interested.

I am a lover of pearls, a consumer, not a seller. I collect Mikimoto pearls. In my opinion, pearls do not hold their value. They are worth their most the day you purchase them as they are in the best shape. A pearl, unlike a diamond, will "wear out" in time. Diamonds are timeless and never wear. This is unlike a pearl which is a natural gem, and is only at its best brand new, unworn. I wear my pearls all the time, and I am sure I put dents and scratches in them. That said, I adore them and love wearing them.

Pearls only have value if they have provenance (e.g. Elizabeth Taylor's La Peregrina pearl necklace or Marilyn Monroe's Mikimoto necklace). I am no Elizabeth Taylor nor Marilyn Monroe, so I know my pearls will not resell for much on the open market. I buy pearls for today, not for resale, and because I love pearls. Speaking of old pearls, I saw Elizabeth Taylor's La Peregrina Pearl Necklace in real life as I went to the exhibition. To me, without knowing it's provenance, it is not a pearl I would want. It does not have nacre, but that is expected given that pearl is from the 16th century.

I hope this helps. Buy pearls because you love them, not because they will increase in value.

If you want to invest, don't by pearls. If you want to enjoy pearls and look elegant, buy them now and enjoy them. Don't wait. Pearls are at tiemless look.

willeyi,

Spoken as a true pearl lover! How wonderful you were able to go to the exhibition and see all the wonderful jewels. You mentioned that La Peregrina "does not have nacre," but perhaps you meant to say it doesn't have luster?

Hi... yes! You are absolutely correct. I am not good with real pearl terminology as you are. I think I meant no luster as you said. La Peregrina was large, but no luster. It did not have the "glow" (laymen language) of a pearl I would expect or want. Honestly, for $11 million (the price someone paid for La Peregrina), I could order me up some serious Mikimoto AAA pearls! Actually, I wish Spain had purchased La Peregrina.

Happy New Year! I shall dreams of pearls tonight!

Back