DIY pearl jewellery - findings & glue recommendations

Sanippy

I have some loose pearls that I'd like to set into simple rings, studs and pendants. Could I please have your recommendations for:

1. Suppliers of pearl jewellery findings/mounts - rings, earrings and pendants

2. The best glue for pearls. Some people recommend 2 part epoxy and others a gel super glue. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

If it makes a difference, I'm in Australia so if there are any local recommendations for vendors that would be awesome! But I'm also happy to purchase from overseas.

Any tips and tricks for glueing would also be much appreciated!

Thank you!

I use devcon 2t or 2 ton for putting studs in half drilled pearls.
It dries clear, but as with most epoxy will yellow over time. Not a problem when out of sight in your mounting. The longer the work time, and cure time the stronger the epoxy. 5 minute devcon is not as strong as the 2 ton version. I don't like super glue for any jewelry process so far. My opinion.

Lloyd
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LloydsJewelry

Last edited:
I'm in Australia as well..I tend to buy from the American sites as the variety is a lot greater. The only Australian site I know requires you to have a proper jewellery business. (and their selection is quite limited as well) Better off with the US sites I think .. CGM, Stuller and Bella are good. If you need wire etc..and some limited findings..in Australia ...A&E metals. And I find Over the Rainbow Beads to have lots of stuff like glue etc etc .

Thank you!

I've ordered a few different pendant settings, epoxy and some loose pearls.

Can I order from Stuller if I'm not in the trade, just a 'hobbyist'?

Some experts say that super glue is so hard that it can cut into threads by having a sharp edge when cured. This is mostly about gluing knots. I know several beaders like it for setting studs. My positive experience with epoxy makes me stick with epoxy for studs. Super Glue also likes to stick fingers together, and is hard to remove if it gets into the wrong place.

GS cement Is what I use when sealing knots.

LLoyd
Gemologist

Last edited:
Back