Cufflinks

fgaussm

Hello All,
I am currently undertaking a project in which I am making pearl jewelry for my mom and dad. I am in the process of making my mom a pearl and ruby necklace and for my dad I've decided to make cufflinks. Now here's where I run into some trouble, i do not have any clue how to make cufflinks! Yes I could buy him cufflinks but there is no fun in that and it doesn't mean as much as making them. So if anyone know how to make cufflinks, what supplies to use and where to get it from that would be really helpful. Happy beading everyone!

Hey fgaussm,

Just buy the findings(the cufflink without the pearl) and buy a couple of half drilled pearls and glue them on the post - you're done.

Any one of the dealers on Pearl-guide.com can help you with both or you may be able to source what you need locally, but expect to pay a premium if you go that route.

Thank you for your reply. My next question to you would be can you help me and how would i go about getting the items that i need through one of the dealers on this forum?

Swivel/click: The skinny end of the swivelly part goes through the hole, and swivels back wide and clicks into place.

This way would be probably the least fun if you're looking for a do it yourself project.

It seems that before the swivel design became prominent, there was a flexible design with jump rings and cross bars or chain.
These cufflinks feature such a design: http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Antique-Cufflinks-Gallery.htm
The flexibility would be required in order to push the rather large (they seem to be hitting 1/2"+) and flat decoration through the hole.

The findings should be easy to locate and also come in a wide variety of metals, and the process should provide a fair amount of entertainment.

A more bulbous decoration (beads/pearls) I think would require it to be smaller, because it can't be folded back. If you want something larger than can be pushed through the hole, you'd have to do something with clasps or other on/off thing that can be disconnected to push the stem through the hole, and then attached back on the outside of the cuff. This may be too cumbersome, as it requires some one-handed dexterity. If the decoration can be pushed through the holes, a simple curved stem should suffice, but, again, I don't know how much fun that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, 'pearl cufflinks' seem to male lots more sense in 'doubles' - i.e. like the knot cufflinks, only with pearls of knots (two smaller). The form seems appropriate for the dressy nature of pearl kuffs - maybe it is done, but I wouldn' expect pearl cufflinks casually, and the double design fits better (IMO) in a dressy context.

There might be some secret trick about making these, but they look rather simple (pearls, chain links, posts...). For some reason, the pearls used are drilled all the way (would expect half, but no...). Maybe it so happened that the few pairs I came across were done that way, maybe it is needed... not sure. The holes get plugged with small metal beads, and tiny bezel set stones for the lucky examples.

Just a thought.

Echoing Ana (and it's what I meant the whole time) that doubles are the way to go. Never liked the one-ended. I'm always left wondering if the man couldn't afford decoration for both sides of his cuffs.

PS: this is probably a bit outside the subject... but... A local shop has casual pearl cuff links with stick and coin pearls held by gold 'rivets'; also doubles - either both flat pearls, or a round and a rectangular. Clearly on the 'fun' side of fine, but more wearable for that matter, IMO.

JulieN said:
A more bulbous decoration (beads/pearls) I think would require it to be smaller, because it can't be folded back. ... If the decoration can be pushed through the holes, a simple curved stem should suffice, but, again, I don't know how much fun that is...

Yep. It looks like the largest round pearl that could serve my shirts is 10mm (with a good push), but only one of the two pearls has to... if anyone wanted larger pearls on their cuffs. The stick pearls above mentioned could be turned sideways (on chain links).

Back