Could I have a valuation of these Akoya pearls?

ayatomark

Hi,

My wife (Japanese) got these from her parents. I don't know anything about them(age, etc) apart from the clasp is silver. We would appreciate it if someone could value these for us.

Thank you.

photo 1.jpgView attachment 21305026017016

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 30
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 37
Welcome,

Please tell us the length of the necklace, and the approximate size of the pearls. Were they a recent gift, or has your wife had them for some time?

Please show us a close up of the necklace clasp.

Am I correct that there are no knots between the pearls?

The pearls are very pretty.

Are the earring backs marked? 14k? 585? 750? 925 Anything like that?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

There were bought for my wife about 5 years ago, in Japan. There is a 'Gem Report' with it, from the 'Gemmological Association of All Japan' but it just says that they are Akoya pearls, no other useful information.

The pearls are about 7 to 8mm each, getting smaller as they get closer to the clasp. The clasp has 'silver pet pending' written on it and the earrings have 'WG K14' written on them.

There are 47 pearls so roughly 35cm long. Yes, there are no knots between the pearls.

photo.jpg

Thank you for the additional photos. Assuming these are akoyas, the strand seems to be well matched for color, and round, which are more valuable than baroque. Somewhat difficult to tell about the luster of the pearls, but probably not AAA quality. Unable to assess the nacre thickness from a photo. Vintage akoya pearls often have thicker nacre than newer pearls, but with this strand being only 5 years old, we have to assume they have average nacre thickness.

I asked about the clasp because I thought it might be a "temporary" clasp, allowing the customer to try a strand to check for length and see if the color was flattering, and would account for the necklace not being knotted. I still can't tell for sure, the clasp may be a traditional fish hook.

I checked what several of our respected forum members offer in a 16 inch AA+ 7.5-8mm akoya necklace, knotted, with 14k gold clasp, and found necklaces for just under $1000 and earrings under $200. So that would be the approximate retail replacement value, for insurance purposes. However, if you were to sell (on ebay), you would probably receive only 15-20% at most.

I'd recommend restringing the pearls, having them knotted in between to prevent the pearls from wearing on each other and make the necklace more flexible, and perhaps add a 14k gold clasp, especially if this one is difficult to open and close.

I hope your wife will wear and enjoy her lovely pearls.

Thanks for your reply.

Have pearls always been undervalued or is it just fluctuations in the market? Seems like diamonds and gold keep their value better?

Mark

I would not say it's a fluctuation, but diamonds don't retain their value very well either unless they are loose and top grade, as many people have found out when trying to resell their diamonds.

Gold is another story as it can be melted down, which diamonds and pearls cannot.

Back