Comparisons

BWeaves

I thought I'd start a thread comparing similar types of pearls. Here are some of my white pearls.

In shadow and then in sunlight.

From top to bottom:

My very first rope of akoyas, bought in 1982 and worn almost daily. Still look good.
Very big, baroque, freshwaters from Kojima. This are my Wilma Flintstone pearls. Much less expensive than South Sea, but look nothing like SS pearls. They are very iridescent and metallic.
Baroque akoyas from Pearl Paradise. Pinked, but very iridescent and shiny.
Natural white Hanadama rope from Pearl Paradise. My best pearls. The photo doesn't show it, but there are pink and green overtones.
Freshadamas from Pearl Paradise, to replace my grandmother's worn out pearls from the 1960s.

When I wear the Freshadamas with the Hanadamas, everyone thinks the Freshies are real pearls and the Hanadamas are fakes, because they are so incredibly shiny compared to the Freshies, which are no slouch.

IMG_1232.jpeg
IMG_1233.jpeg

More white pearls. Today I'm wearing my natural white Hanadama rope from Pearl Paradise, along with my pinked Hanadama studs from PP. The pinked ones looked better on my earlobes than the natural white studs. My 1982 akoya rope. And a long tin-cup from Kojima of South Sea and freshwater pearls, and I think baroque akoyas. My Mom's freshwater bracelet. Large coin pearl ring from Kojima.

I didn't think I liked tin-cups until I went to my first RUCKUS and saw Newberry's. Then I fell in love with them.

IMG_1235.jpeg
IMG_1237.jpeg
IMG_1238.jpeg
IMG_1239.jpeg
IMG_1240.jpeg

When I asked PP to find me a 36" rope of natural white Hanadamas, I also asked for a white gold, screw type, ball clasp with CZs instead of diamonds. At first they were hesitant to use CZs, but this clasp sparkles like a disco ball in bright light, and cost much less than diamonds. I wanted to spend my money on the pearls, not the clasp.

Last edited:
More white pearls. Today I'm wearing my natural white Hanadama rope from Pearl Paradise, along with my pinked Hanadama studs from PP. The pinked ones looked better on my earlobes than the natural white studs. My 1982 akoya rope. And a long tin-cup from Kojima of South Sea and freshwater pearls, and I think baroque akoyas. My Mom's freshwater bracelet. Large coin pearl ring from Kojima.

I didn't think I liked tin-cups until I went to my first RUCKUS and saw Newberry's. Then I fell in love with them.

View attachment 464538View attachment 464537View attachment 464536View attachment 464535View attachment 464534

When I asked PP to find me a 36" rope of natural white Hanadamas, I also asked for a white gold, screw type, ball clasp with CZs instead of diamonds. At first they were hesitant to use CZs, but this clasp sparkles like a disco ball in bright light, and cost much less than diamonds. I wanted to spend my money on the pearls, not the clasp.
A very regal look

Blues (and pistachio).

Pistachio strand from RUCKUS. It was the one and only baroque green akoya strand Pearl Paradise had. It's not just green. It has soap bubble luster. I should have bought the blue one, too, but I already had the other blues. I like to hang my pearl pendants on this strand.

2 strands of intense blues that Hisano combined for me into a rope. From PP.

Vietnamese baroque blue akoyas. Very intense colors, but the nuclei are loose, which makes this strand hard to string. I removed a couple of pearls with bad drill holes, so the necklace ended up being 17". I actually love the 17" length better than 16" or 18". Serendipity.

20" strand of baroque blue akoyas from Pearls of Joy, bought at my first RUCKUS.

My first 10mm baroque blue akoyas from PP. More pale, but very mother of pearl luster in person, like giant soap bubbles. The color of this strand doesn't come across in the photo.

Top: Pistachio strand from RUCKUS  Second: 2 strands of intense blues that Hisano combined for me into a rope. Third: Vietnamese baroque blue akoyas Fourth: 20 strand of blue baroque akoyas Fifth: My first 10mm baroque blue akoyas

Last edited:
More blues, but this time lapis lazuli.

Freshwater keshi from Kojima.
Reborn pearls (keshi) from a store in Mt. Dora, FL.
Coin pearls from Karen Brown Jewelry. Restrung with Mom's clasp. It's the perfect size and shape for these pearls.
Mom's lapis lazuli bead necklace. I replaced the small (7mm), dull akoya pearls with larger (9mm) Freshadamas from Pearl Paradise, and now I love the necklace. I remember picking out the pearls at my last RUCKUS.
Mom's 3 strand Rice Krispies with lapis beads.
Mom's 12 strand, pink Rice Krispies torsade with dragon head clasp.

IMG_1242.jpeg
IMG_1243.jpeg

Last edited:
Lovely pearls...that ring with the disc shaped pearls is quite a stunner...and the Dragon head clasp! Love it!
Beautiful collection :arms:

View attachment 464538View attachment 464537View attachment 464536View attachment 464535View attachment 464534

SO beautiful BWeaves. And yes ... you need those wire wrapped bathtub SS with the little gold flower/sun beads ... there's a simple but ethereal glow to those creamy pearls ... haunting. I would have if I could have, sigh :)

Blues (and pistachio).

Pistachio strand from RUCKUS. It was the one and only baroque green akoya strand Pearl Paradise had. It's not just green. It has soap bubble luster. I should have bought the blue one, too, but I already had the other blues. I like to hang my pearl pendants on this strand.

2 strands of intense blues that Hisano combined for me into a rope. From PP.

Vietnamese baroque blue akoyas. Very intense colors, but the nuclei are loose, which makes this strand hard to string. I removed a couple of pearls with bad drill holes, so the necklace ended up being 17". I actually love the 17" length better than 16" or 18". Serendipity.

My first 10mm baroque blue akoyas from PP. More pale, but very mother of pearl luster in person, like giant soap bubbles. The color of this strand doesn't come across in the photo.

View attachment 464558
such gorgeous blues!

More blues, but this time lapis lazuli.

Freshwater keshi from Kojima.
Reborn pearls (keshi) from a store in Mt. Dora, FL.
Coin pearls from Karen Brown Jewelry. Restrung with Mom's clasp. It's the perfect size and shape for these pearls.
Mom's lapis lazuli bead necklace. I replaced the small (7mm), dull akoya pearls with larger (9mm) Freshadamas from Pearl Paradise, and now I love the necklace. I remember picking out the pearls at my last RUCKUS.
Mom's 3 strand Rice Krispies with lapis beads.
Mom's 12 strand, pink Rice Krispies torsade with dragon head clasp.

View attachment 464560View attachment 464559
Gorgeous collection! I love the strands with lapis beads. I have a set almost like your Mom's rice krispie and lapis beads.

Pinks and multi-colors.

Top: Pacific Pearls Chinese freshwater ripples. Middle: Kojima Chinese freshwater ripples. I either nest these two necklaces, or link them together into a rope for an ombre' look. These ripples look a lot like Kasumi pearls.
Bottom. Kojima loooooong Ombre' freshwater keshi strand.

IMG_1255.jpeg

Top to bottom: Kojima freshwater keshi tin-cup. Sarah accidentally made it too long, and I said leave it. I love the length.
Pearl Paradise pistachio baroque akoyas again, because I love them. I also wear them with the following two necklaces.
Kojima. Both are Tahitian keshi tin-cups.
IMG_1256.jpeg

Long ropes. Top to bottom. Kojima Everything Bagel rope. South Sea tin-cup. Beachy tin-cup.
IMG_1257.jpeg

I named this the Everything Bagel rope, because it has a little of everything, and it's a continuous loop. The large round mauve pearls are smooth Kasumi pearls. The large white and gold pearls are South Sea. The nuggets are Tahitian keshi from Kamoka. And all the small pearls are blue and green baroque akoyas. I grabbed this off Sarah's neck when she walked into RUCKUS, and yelled, "Mine!"

IMG_1258.jpeg

I wear it with this long Kojima tin-cup. The large pearls are South Sea and Tahitians. The small pearls are natural blue akoya keshi. I love the greenish tinge that some of the gold South Sea pearls have. The large, blue Tahitian drop on the right is a real eye catcher, although it doesn't pop in the photo.
IMG_1259.jpeg

The Kojima Beachy tin-cup has some shells, emeralds, sapphire, South Sea, freshwater, akoyas, feather pearl, and 3 pendants. I didn't think this was my kind of pearl necklace, but I wear it a lot in the summer layered with a single white feather pearl pendant.

IMG_1260.jpeg

Last edited:
Splendid collection! It's hard to say which one I love best! :love:

Pinks and multi-colors.

Top: Pacific Pearls Chinese freshwater ripples. Middle: Kojima Chinese freshwater ripples. I either nest these two necklaces, or link them together into a rope for an ombre' look. These ripples look a lot like Kasumi pearls.

View attachment 464574

Top to bottom: Kojima freshwater keshi tin-cup. Sarah accidentally made it too long, and I said leave it. I love the length.
Pearl Paradise pistachio baroque akoyas again, because I love them. I also wear them with the following two necklaces.
View attachment 464573

Long ropes. Top to bottom. Kojima Everything Bagel rope. South Sea tin-cup. Beachy tin-cup.
View attachment 464572

I named this the Everything Bagel rope, because it has a little of everything, and it's a continuous loop. The large round mauve pearls are smooth Kasumi pearls. The large white and gold pearls are South Sea. The nuggets are Tahitian keshi from Kamoka. And all the small pearls are blue and green baroque akoyas. I grabbed this off Sarah's neck when she walked into RUCKUS, and yelled, "Mine!"

View attachment 464571

I wear it with this long Kojima tin-cup. The large pearls are South Sea and Tahitians. The small pearls are natural blue akoya keshi. I love the greenish tinge that some of the gold South Sea pearls have. The large, blue Tahitian drop on the right is a real eye catcher, although it doesn't pop in the photo.
View attachment 464570

The Kojima Beachy tin-cup has some shells, emeralds, sapphire, South Sea, freshwater, akoyas, feather pearl, and 3 pendants. I didn't think this was my kind of pearl necklace, but I wear it a lot in the summer layered with a single white feather pearl pendant.

View attachment 464569
freshwater ripples are the next on my must haves!

I love the rainbow colors they exhibit, and i also want a more seaweedy/beigey strand!

Pinks and multi-colors.

View attachment 464574

View attachment 464573

View attachment 464572

View attachment 464571

View attachment 464570

View attachment 464569
Glorious, BWeaves! How nice to see Beachy again ... that was around my neck, and in my hands through a whole round of Pearl Bingo before I chose something else ... so glad it got such a great home :)

Ombre' tin-cups from Kojima. Top: the long one (40"). Bottom: the short one (24").

I often wear the short one with the orbit clasp in front and hang one of my pearl pendants off it.

I don't wear these two necklaces together, because believe it or not, they don't go. The shorter one looks puny next to the longer one. And the lengths don't play well together.

This thread is very therapeutic for me. It's reminding me that I already have way too many pearls, and I need to quit coveting everyone else's stash. And I really do not need any more.

IMG_1269.jpeg

The long one doubled. I don't tend to stack them this close. I usually have one loop longer than the other, which changes the spacing on the colors.

IMG_1271.jpeg

The white south sea pearl at the center top of the next photo is carved in a 3 strand braid pattern. My eye always goes right to that pearl.

IMG_1270.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, awesome strands BWeaves! The colors are amazing on both. It's surprising they don't play well together.

Ombre' tin-cups from Kojima. Top: the long one (40"). Bottom: the short one (24").

I often wear the short one with the orbit clasp in front and hang one of my pearl pendants off it.

I don't wear these two necklaces together, because believe it or not, they don't go. The shorter one looks puny next to the longer one. And the lengths don't play well together.

This thread is very therapeutic for me. It's reminding me that I already have way too many pearls, and I need to quit coveting everyone else's stash. And I really do not need any more.

View attachment 464604

The long one doubled. I don't tend to stack them this close. I usually have one loop longer than the other, which changes the spacing on the colors.

View attachment 464602

The white south sea pearl at the center top of the next photo is carved in a 3 strand braid pattern. My eye always goes right to that pearl.

View attachment 464603
Gorgeous...You have so many beautiful pieces....Good for you!!

Wow, awesome strands BWeaves! The colors are amazing on both. It's surprising they don't play well together.
I'll have to model them together for a photo. It's all a bit too much, if you know what I mean. Although they layer fine with other strands I have.

Comparing the 2 Kojima ombre' tin-cups. As you can see, they don't really play well together. The proportions are off. And it's just a bit toooooo much. Now, each one layers fine with other pearls.
IMG_1275.jpeg

The long one by itself, worn double.

IMG_1276.jpeg
IMG_1277.jpeg

Earrings.

Top row left to right:

Mom's South Sea diamond Huggies. The pearl drop is removable. These are very good SS pearls. No flaws. I did have to lengthen the posts because I have fatter earlobes than my Mom did.

I have several pairs of diamond hoops from my Mom. Since most pearl earrings have tiny, tiny diamonds, I'd rather wear these diamond hoops and add pendants to them myself. Plus, I can swap them around.

Mom's diamond hoops. These perfectly shaped freshwater drops from Kojima have a creamy luster and an absolutely perfect drop shape with no flaws. I asked Sarah to put on a 3mm round bail so I could wear them as earring pendants.

Mom's diamond hoops. Winter Snowman and Summer Flowers pendants are really necklace pendants from Kojima. They're a little heavy on my ears, but I love to wear them with the ombre' tin-cups. I just love mismatched earrings.

Freshwater keshi earrings that Kojima made for me to match my freshwater pink keshi tin-cup. I love the horseshoe earring finding. It's very comfortable and secure.

Amethyst and Kasumi pearl drop earrings bought at RUCKUS. There was a longer pair of Kasumi earrings that everyone at RUCKUS was trying to talk me into, but I'm not really a LONG earring person, and I knew I'd wear these shorter ones more often. Those long ones were dynamite though. Maybe I should have bought both pairs? Hindsight.

Bottom row, left to right:

Mom's diamond hoops. Yes, she had a lot of diamond hoop earrings. Dyed freshwater pearls from Kojima. I asked Sarah to put 3mm round bails on them so I could wear them as earring pendants.

Dyed freshwater pearls from Kojima. These came attached to the white metal hoops. You can't tell from the photo, but there are topazes in the hoops. White topaz sparkles like diamonds.

Kojima again. Amazing Tahitian drops with opals. Unfortunately, to capture the pearls, the opals wash out. To capture the sparkle of the opals, the pearls wash out. These match La Perlagrina very well, and I always wear them together.

Kamoka 10mm Tahitians on 18K gold Bali findings. I was actually looking for 10mm studs when I saw these. They're one of the few hook earring shapes that actually stays in my ear and doesn't wiggle its way out.

IMG_1278.jpeg

Trying to capture the sparkle of the opals.

IMG_1282.jpeg

Top row, left to right:

White gold Mikimoto Huggies.
Yellow gold Mikimoto Huggies. Both pairs have become my travel pearls because they are very secure and easy to sleep on if I fall asleep on a plane.

Kojima feather pearls. Topaz in the hooks. These are heavy, so the hooks stay in place and don't wiggle out of my ears.

Reborn pearls. Keshi from a store in Mt. Dora Florida. They have a matching tin-cup necklace. Very lightweight.

Ruby hearts and small akoya pearls. My first drop earrings, although the pearls are round. Small and cute.

Nana's pearl drop earrings. Tiny diamond that doesn't sparkle. I don't know why they bothered with the diamond. In the 1960s, Nana would wear these earrings upside down so the drop pearl hung over the stem. It gave that double pierced, 2 pearl look that was so popular in the 1960s. Nana was also a bit of a rebel, so wearing her earrings upside down was very on brand.

Bottom row, left to right:

9 mm Hanadama studs from Pearl Paradise. The pinked Hanadamas looked better on my ears than the natural white ones. So even though my rope is natural white Hanadamas, you can't tell that they don't match when I'm wearing them all together.

Kamoka 9.5 Tahitians, peacock and lavender.

Kamoka 9.5mm Tahitians, black and white (eggplant and pale blue). These pearls go with everything. They look especially good with my natural white Hanadama rope.

Oceans Cove, 10mm peacock Tahitians.

Kojima 9mm pistachio Tahitians. These look great with my pistachio akoyas from Pearl Paradise.

IMG_1281.jpeg

Trying to capture the luster of the feather pearls.

IMG_1286.jpeg

Last edited:
Back