China's pearl farms prosper away from pollution

I just read the article posted, and I find myself saddened. I have always loved pearls and what they symbolized, purity, beauty and uniqueness. I am a Southern born and bred and one of my fondest memories is my grandmother allowing me to put on her strand of pearls, which I now own. Style, grace and elegance are a Southern girl's greatest assets, worn as proudly as a girl's first strand of pearls. Now I read that China, a country and people I love to visit, will be churning out 30 million pieces of pearl jewelry a year. Next article I read will be where you can buy a string out of gumball machines, or worse they will replace the beads handed out at Mardi Gras every year. I have started an online pearl business, but I sit here wondering why I bothered. Pearls aren't something to eat, and with that many the market will be flooded and pearls will not only lose their value but will lose their honor as a coveted and prized piece of jewelry.

Well I think I'll go next week and see what its all about. Haven't been there before anyway. Isn't there a push to limit production in China? Thought I heard that recently.:confused:

Mikeyy,

Yes, I read article Caitlin submitted under Pearl news section. The Chinese govnmt says it is going to limit supply to keep a glut from happening, but will it be too late for what is already out there? And you'll love China and her people, very polite and helpful. They treat you like a diplomat.

Mikeyy,

Yes, I read article Caitlin submitted under Pearl news section. The Chinese govnmt says it is going to limit supply to keep a glut from happening, but will it be too late for what is already out there? And you'll love China and her people, very polite and helpful. They treat you like a diplomat.
Oh I've been to China a lot. Just never to Zhuji before.

Mikeyy,

Sorry, assumed the "not been there" meant China, but I see how long you've been in the business and realize "assumption is mother of all ___". I've never been to Zhuji either. Missed my trip in August due to Olympics and trying to get website moooving. Thought getting it built and suppliers was hard part, boy, was I wrong!

'Bet that clean water will be the first luxury the region will turn to, as soon as it affords any luxury in public infrastructure at all. If pearls remain the main crop there could be just the critical nudge for such a turn: after all, the 'minor' pearl industry lost competitions with other users for water just bout everywhere else (Japan, US...). Plausible? :rolleyes:

If they stop the use of fertilizer to feed the plankton and limit the number of mussels in an area, the quality will be there. Quality over quantity.;)

Back