Candling pearl questions

nnguye20

Hi everybody,
So I have been on this forum for a while, and I have seen this cool method called "pearl candle" (Idk if I got that right or not?). So is it a simple method to see the nucleus inside the pearls? Can someone tell me how to do it in both complicated and simple ways? I tried to search for old posts about this but what I found weren't very clear.
Is holding a pearl under a light source give similar result too? I tried looking at both freshwater pearls and saltwater pearls under sun light (through windows with thin curtains) and I could sorta see something inside them too, but I'm not so sure. I hope I don't sound too confusing, please excuse my crappy English because I am not sure how to explain this :eek:

The idea is that you have a very intense light source focused directly under the pearl and shining up through the pearl. It isn't always simple to interpret what you see, unfortunately. So people have built a box with a little hole that the pearl sits in with the flash light inside and under the box. I hope this helps. Even bright sunlight isn't focused enough.

The idea is that you have a very intense light source focused directly under the pearl and shining up through the pearl. It isn't always simple to interpret what you see, unfortunately. So people have built a box with a little hole that the pearl sits in with the flash light inside and under the box. I hope this helps. Even bright sunlight isn't focused enough.

Here is a thread about candling with lots of photos:
[h=1]Candled Natural Pearls[/h]
On page 24 of that thread, an iPhone light is used for candling.

Thank you so much pattye and Pearl Dreams! I think I will try to figure out how to candle the pearls using my phone. Too bad I cannot do that with sunlight :(

To try that with the sun would quickly make your eyes like pearls!!:)

Well I tried to look at the pearl under sunlight that is partially blocked by thin curtains, so it wasn't that bad lol.

Back