Can anyone identify these pearls?

chrysander

I am wondering if anyone can identify these pearls that came from a reputable pearl dealer in Thailand. Thanks!

Can anyone identify these pearls?Can anyone identify these pearls?Can anyone identify these pearls?Can anyone identify these pearls?

They are freshwater, and they're large pearls. As long as they were sold to you as freshwater and not South Sea, they are decent pearls.
Do you mind telling me what you think about these studs that came with the strands?

These all came from Naga Pearl Farm on Ko Samui. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    734 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0339.jpeg
    IMG_0339.jpeg
    680.9 KB · Views: 57
Do you mind telling me what you think about these studs that came with the strands?

These all came from Naga Pearl Farm on Ko Samui. Thank you.
Some surface defects, not much luster but they look nice!

The short strand of pearls is freshwater. It's difficult to tell from the studs whether they are freshwater or low-quality South Sea. One appears to be off-round, which may just be the photography, but would otherwise be indicative of freshwater.

That said, I just checked the website for Naga Pearl Farm in Ko Samui and reviewed the photos. I am attaching two here for reference.

None of these pearls were grown in Thailand. They are all Chinese freshwater pearls. If they are being sold as South Sea, it's a (scam) tourist trap, unfortunately. I see images on other websites as well (for example), and all the photos shown are of Chinese freshwater pearls.

Naga Pearl Farm in Ko Samui

The shells in the photo below are Pinctada maxima (South Sea), but these are not the shells that grew the pearls on display.

South Sea oyster shells

They were grown in Hyriopsis cumingi (triangle mussel) freshwater shells.

Hyriopsis cumingi freshwater mussel shell

Thanks for the detailed response Jeremy, it is much appreciated. On close inspection, the studs are round but some of the pearls on the strands are slightly off-round.

My mother purchased a big strand of these pearls 10 years ago and had it made into a necklace and two bracelets, and then she also bought those studs, and they were all sold to them as SSP. I found the "certificate of authenticity" to prove it. Obviously they were misinformed. My only consolation seems to be that this so-called Naga Pearl Farm appears to be permanently closed.

That said, can you speak to the quality of the freshwater pearls? Are they decent freshwaters at least? They are all 10-11mm and seem to be well matched with relatively few imperfections and decent lustre when I look at them in natural light.

My pleasure!

The strands are freshwater, so if the studs were sold with them, they're most likely freshwater as well.

The pearls do appear to be nice though given the size. I'm referring to the first images at the top of the thread - the short strand with the studs is more low-grade commercial. Freshwater pearls in the 10-11 mm range are most often short or long potato. These appear to be near round.

Back