Buying large freshwater pearls in Beijing?

Zahra

Hi all :)

New poster here. I will be in Beijing for a week in December and would love to buy a strand of large white freshwater pearls while I am there. I have been eyeing off this beautiful strand from Pearl Paradise and would really like something similar: http://www.pearlparadise.com/115125-mm-AA-White-Cultured-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace2004.aspx

I have read through every thread that I could find on here about shopping in Beijing and understand that Ling Ling is the best bet for good quality pearls. I was just wondering if someone might know how much I could expect to pay for something similar to the strand I linked above? I have purchased several things from Pearl Paradise and have been thrilled with them all so if Ling Ling's price is similar to PP's I will probably just buy from PP.

Thanks very much for your help, this site is an amazing resource and I have already learnt a lot.

Hi Zahra,

Ling Ling is a good seller, but even with her, you have to depend on your own eye and negotiation skills.

With the large-size strands, there is a equally large range of value, so what you will be looking for is shape, surface and luster. The pearls won't be perfectly round, but should be very close to it. They should also have very few visible blemishes.

One last secret: the finest pearl strands will often have tassels on the ends when sold wholesale. Go for these first and then find the best.

Back