• Become a Pearl Insider!

Register as a member today for exclusive access to, member only insider info, incredible contests to exotic locations, and have your questions answered by pearl experts from around the world.

Join the community today. Just click Register at the top!

"Bubble strand" - what sizes to get?

Precious Pearl

I will start collecting Tahitian pearls and I want a multicolor "Bubble strand". I am now thinking of the sizes of the pearls and how many I need of each size. I assume 8-13 mm would be good?! Shall I get the same amount of the same size or what do you suggest? I am a bit nervous to start buying loose pearls before having a good idea regarding how to do this... Any advice would be highly appreciated!

jshepherd

Natural Pearl
This is quite an endeavor! Are you envisioning a finished strand flowing somewhat symmetrically or more of a mixed size and shape style?

8-13 is a wide range to work with, but I think the selection really depends on what you want the finished strand to look like.

Precious Pearl

This is quite an endeavor! Are you envisioning a finished strand flowing somewhat symmetrically or more of a mixed size and shape style?

8-13 is a wide range to work with, but I think the selection really depends on what you want the finished strand to look like.

I would like something like this (and a really "colourful" strand - obviously different colours): Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!! - Pearl-Guide.com

eolian pearls

Precious Pearl I am a big fan of @jeg’s Bubble so I made a little analysis of it :) It is approximate of course, but maybe it can help you. Next I would look into colors and how many of each there are... I would buy a 8mm bracelet with the colors I need ( ask a recommended vendor for those colors) and this way I would already have a bracelet I can use while collecting other pearls :) Happy pearl hunting!C89B4EFF-3872-49AE-BF81-AE6B9870B347.jpeg

Precious Pearl

Precious Pearl I am a big fan of @jeg’s Bubble so I made a little analysis of it :) It is approximate of course, but maybe it can help you. Next I would look into colors and how many of each there are... I would buy a 8mm bracelet with the colors I need ( ask a recommended vendor for those colors) and this way I would already have a bracelet I can use while collecting other pearls :) Happy pearl hunting!

I cannot thank you enough, this is very helpful! One again thank you so much! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

jeg

Traveling Pearl
Hi Precious Pearl! 8-13mm is a pretty big range. You might want to focus on 9-11mm first, unless you see an outstanding pearl you can’t pass up. The nice thing about a bubble strand is, it will all fit in somewhere. The color range might be a different story. My bubble strand you are referencing has unusual colors for Tahitians. It also might not play well with the more typical Tahitian colors. I remember you seemed pretty set on collecting pearls individually, so I think I would focus on 9-11mm to begin with, in colors that jump out to you. Once you have a little grouping, you’ll see how the color scheme and sizes are working for you. I’m away right now, so I don’t remember the exact mm range, but I am pulling some old photos. One is of some Fiji pearls I purchased from Cees. They were on a temp strand that I rearranged to create a bubble look because I wanted some of the colors to be more contrasting. The other strand is the sister strand to bubbles. It has a much more subtle bubble effect, but just to show that you don’t necessarily need a huge range of sizes.
D588A928-9941-4678-84D9-852218AE1F0F.jpeg BE316C5D-3E5A-4E42-8A8F-635B343F84AE.jpeg