Broke a tooth on this one

gcrosby111

Bit down on this while eating oysters at my favorite watering hole. Lost half a tooth in the process. Due to it's size and shape, i was wondering if there is any value in it?. Pearl 1.jpg Pearl2.jpg

Certainly it's a curiosity and conversation piece, but IMO it lacks beauty, and gems are all about beauty.

Value is based on what someone is willing to pay for it. What would you have paid for it?

I didn't think it would be worth anything but it did cost me a tooth, lol. Just curious since it was so big. Thanks for the response.

Here is most recent article on that pearl where I was quoted on value too:

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-article/man-finds-natural-pearl-in-meal/

Jeremy Shepherd, founder of PearlParadise.com and the treasurer on the board of the CPAA, points out that while the diner’s find is an exciting one, it’s actually a non-nacreous calcareous concretion and not a valuable pearl because it is not composed of nacre—the substance that gives pearls their luster and shine.

“Anytime people find a ‘pearl’ in an edible oyster, there won’t be much value to it because of the oyster variety,” he says. “Nacreous pearls are only produced by mollusks from the Pteriidae family, so the ‘pearl’ this man found is not really a pearl in the true sense of the word,” he explains. “It’s really a curiosity.”

Shepherd would place its value at $200–$400—less than the $2,000–$4,000 figure quoted in the newspaper.

“It’s still an exciting find, but it doesn’t have the qualities of valuable pearls because it’s not from a Pteriidae or pearl-producing mollusk,” Shepherd says.

I'd be happy if someone would pay me 200 for it. lol. Oh well, I do like it as a conversation starter, may even make a charm out of it.

That's it, you'd have to find a buyer. Well, there's always eBay.

Sure, call it a "Rare Huge South Sea Natural White Baroque Keshi Akoya Pearl AAA+".

I amuse myself. :D

Back