Bought "Akoya" Pearls but not so great!

S

spuente7

I was hoping that someone would give me a bit of advice. I bought some pearls on-line at a discount retailer. I was looking for inexpensive but these pearls are horrible. The size of the pearl is 5.5mm to 6mm, length of strand is 18 inches...the surface of the pearls have dimples, and looking at them under direct light they look like they have discolorations...darker and lighter shades in the same pearl. They are very round though and uniform. The luster is fair..to good.How much can I expect to pay for a strand of Akoya of this size...with a grading of AA? or based on this description can you tell me if what I bought are indeed "akoya". Please help!

Hi Spuente,

First the good news, you indeed bought akoyas. Now the bad news: you indeed bought akoyas. The discolorations showing in transmitted light are the bands of the nucleus. In case you are not familiar with that term, don't worry, wear it daily for a few months and you will see quite clearly what that word means. If you can return it, I strongly recommend returning it ASAP. Short-cultured akoyas are not worth having. However, they are sold at department stores across the country. Typical retail for a 5.5-6mm 18-inch strand with 14k clasp is US$200. Homeshopping networks and e-tailers sell them for USD50 or so.

Zeide

Thanks Zeide

Thanks Zeide

I had already thought about returning them! I was looking to spend about
$300 for earrings and a strand...or just a strand. I would like to get the best quality I can get for my money. What would you recommend? Thanks!

Hi Spuente,

Please refer to my answer to your other post to the same effect. If you want to spend US$300, you can get decent akoyas. But why buy decent akoyas when you can have mindblowing freshwaters?

Zeide

If you want akoyas, Pearl Paradise has a good selection at a fair price. I have bought several items from Jeremy and have been very pleased.

I'd return them in a New York minute. You can do a lot better for your $300.00.

What is the price differential between grades of pearls, usually.

Are AA pearls priced 1/3 more than A?

There is really no definitive answer to that question. For our pricing it totally depends on the number of each in a certain category that we purchase, how the average works out in the separated qualities, etc. From there it is a decision of where to put the margins...I could go on and on. Also, without a standard grading system this would only apply to us. Go to a seller that has AAA+ or AAAA and everything changes again.

Btw, I was at a jewelry store today ,looking at pearls. I didn't see any saltwater pearls. They had a 16" string of button pearls for $350.00. When I asked if they were freshwater or saltwater the sales girl didn't know.

Button Pearls

Button Pearls

Pearltime,

I run into that problem often with those brick and mortar retailers that we regularly sell to. We have one buyer in particular who had "specialized" in pearls for 15 years, but was still unclear how to tell the difference between Freshwater and Akoya!

Back