Blue pearls

T

Taylor

Hi, I ordered the pearls in the attached photo on eBay. The seller was exactly honest about the condition. All are PPB with the bead showing on some. Since they were on wire, I hoped they were drilled with wider holes for starting and ending strands. They do have a blue-gray cast but I think this is either caused by the gold wire or some sort of dirt between the bead and the nacre. At first nothing would remove the blue but after soaking in water following a wash and a slurry bath the blackish dirt/dye or whatever can be scraped awayfrom the hole. Any idea what caused this and/or what can remove it?

Attachments

• ebaybracelet.jpg
    ebaybracelet.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 26
blue akoya pearls

blue akoya pearls

Hi,
I am new to this forum and travel yearly to Beijing and purchase pearls for myself and friends.
I have studied a bit but in this case I am at a loss.
I have seen these platinum blue akoya pearls for years and this year decided to buy them.
They are 7.- 8 mm with a definate blue color. The orient is magnificent.
I looked to see any dye at the drill hole and see none.
They have a few "bubbles" but very small on only a few of the pearls.

I am now wondering if they are indeed Akoya. Can I expect the color to change? I have been working with this vender for over 10 years and have always been pleased with my purchases. I get my more expensive pearls appraised at a reputable appraising company but do not know much about these types of pearls.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Laura

Hi,
I wish I could get a close up of the drill holes where the nacre is damaged and the layers are most prominent. The conchliolin layer is a blue-black color like rich dirt. I assume this is what gives the pearls the blue color. I don't think I 'd like having a bacteria around my neck. Do the conchliolin layers always determine the natural color with the aragonite crystals producing the white and irridensence?

Back