Blue Pearls

amti

A friend had these cute akoyas. I think they might be dyed after seeing the black spot. What do you think?
IMG_20170324_194059.jpgIMG_20170324_155559.jpgIMG_20170324_155242.jpg

amti, I can't see the photo...it's just not loading for me. Is it very large?

Very pretty pearls! Looks like there are dark spots around the drill holes too? Could be dye?

I wonder why some people can see the photos and others cant. I don't think the pictures are that large. I am posting a couple more closeups and they are smaller so hopefully you can see them.

Hanadama, the black spot on one pearl makes me also wonder if they were dyed. They are older pearls and remind me of the iridescent fwp dying jobs from China these days.

Attachments

• _MG_1372p.jpg
    _MG_1372p.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_1371p.jpg
    _MG_1371p.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I can finally see the photos. I was having that problem throughout the entire website. The black spot looks like a blemish on the pearl. It's not related to dyed vs. not dyed. Most of the time, vendors try to put the drill hole at a blemish, but if there is more than one blemish and they are not on opposite sides, then one of the blemishes is going to show.

I can't tell from your photos if these are dyed or not dyed. There are akoyas that are naturally that color. They are not well matched and they need to be restrung, and a good wash would also perk them up.

There is a lot of variation in color and overtone, so I don't think these are dyed.

Thanks everyone. Most of the pearls are pretty clean but there are a few with darker areas where the texture is uneven.

Back