Black pearls set

Elias

Hello everyone.

What kind of pearls are those? Are they keshi? Is there something like freshwater keshi?

Thank you,

Elias

Black pearls setBlack pearls set

Black pearls setBlack pearls set

Not keshi-- they are tissue nucleated cultured FWP. [Edited to add: They are dyed.]

There are freshwater keshi but they do not look like this. Freshwater keshi are second harvest pearls. When a tissue-nucleated FWP is removed from the pearl sac, the mussel is placed back in the water (without adding a piece of donor mantle tissue) and the already-existing peal sac forms another FWP. Often they have a corn flake appearance.

Keishi are formed when a mollusc forms a 'wild' pearl rather than a cultured or farmed pearl. They can result from injury or other external factors or they can be a planned production. They form in all types of pearl producing shells
The pearls in the OP are dyed freshwater farmed pearls. In shape they are called potato pearls. That style of illusion necklace, where the pearls are threaded and then fixed into place with glue onto thin clear 'thread' were very common when I got started in the pearl business 20 years ago. They were imported (by the ton probably) from China. Enjoy your piece, I certainly would not want to spend hours threading pearls onto cord.

However, the keshi that occur in a farmed oyster is still not called a natural/wild pearl, as it is still the result (though unintended) of the culturing process.

One way saltwater pearl keshi come to be is when the oyster expels the implanted nucleus. Unless this is detected (by x-ray) and the bead re-implanted, the pearl that results will be a keshi, without a nucleus. But still not a wild/natural pearl.

This is a photo of my necklace of Tahitian keshi:
Tahitian keshi in the shade forum size

Yes, they look like color treated/enhanced fwp, but they are a lovely set! Very striking!

I think they would look very posh on a monochromatic outfit.

Like all black, all charcoal grey, all purple/aubergine, all green!

please share your pics when you wear them out!

Hello everyone thank you for all the answers. Pearl dreams your necklace is so beautiful I have no words. I want something keshi, gold and also grey just like yours. Pearlescence you are right, but here that illusion necklace still is in demand. I just liked because I thought it was keshi natural color, but I won't get it now. Diamondsareforever thank you also. Stevieboy thank you, you gave very nice styling ideas, but as I won't get it, no photos of someone wearing it.

Yes I noticed they are beautifully silvery gray. I was trying to say that I want one just like yours, that in your neck shot is even more beautiful and a golden one. And maybe a white one. I don't know why but I always liked keshi, they look amazing to me. May I ask where you found yours?

Ah, I understand now. I'd love some golden south sea keshi, too! :)

I bought this necklace 4 or 5 years ago, at a small jewelry shop here in Connecticut, but it is now out of business. The pandemic hit a lot of small shops hard.

You can find Tahitian keshi on Etsy and eBay, but online vendors often carry them as well.

Thank you. I'll keep looking at ebay and etsy and hopefully will find a nice one of each. And maybe earrings too. I buy for my mom but I like the pieces more than her. These days she just have eyes for her granddaughter.

While you might think (not unreasonably) that I am biased, you will probably not find bargains or mystic discoveries of genuine tahitian pearl necklaces for $1 on eBay or Etsy. You will find some reasonable sellers but you will also find many scammers - there's another thread with some glaringly obvious scam tahitians running alongside this one.
Caveat Emptor.

I have bought Tahitians on eBay but there are a lot of scammers. If you see something you like that are being sold as Tahitian keshi, feel free to post the listing and we can tell you if they are or not.

Sorry for taking so long to answer. Of course I don't think anyone here is biased, even if you work with pearls, as I noticed a lot of people here do, you really love your "work" and help a lot of others with your knowledge. And that's amazing. Just like Jeremy and cortezpearls and you, and others, everyone here is very kind. Thank you pearl dreams I wouldn't be crazy enough to buy anything pearl relates without asking for help here. Now searching for some keshi.

That's the whole idea behind the forum @Elias : to help others and share knowledge :)

Back