Basra pearls

Oh my God...I guess there is some serious comprehending problem, Anyways i can understand the way Caitlin is reacting on this. She is a senior member of this pearl forum and i respect her views totally, its just that attack of hers on the Generic term "Basra" makes me feel sad.

Not an attack. An opinion. It is a problem when you think the Baroda pearls can't be both Basra pearls and South Sea pearls. All Basra pearls do not originate in Basra. They acquire that name ONLY when they get to India no matter where they originated.

Some more pearls...

Attachments

• DSC02773.jpg
    DSC02773.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 35
don't mean to start this sil-- debate (some people's blood-pressure seems to be going higher and higher in this discussion/opinion/chat - call it what you may) on "Basra Pearls". However my understanding of "Basra" is that "Basra" was (& may be still is) a trading centre for pearls (& perhaps predominantly natural ones in view of Basra's vintage). It is also my understanding that the pearls traded in Basra originated from all over (Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, UAE, Kuwait, may be also from Iraq, Iran). There is nothing to suggest that traders from other countries (China, Japan etc) did not bring their "natural" pearls to Basra, only to ensure that they got a fair and competitive price etc. Therefore, given that a huge # of such pearls were then exported to Hyderabad and Mumbai (as the pearl centres of India), the term Basra was (has been, and is being) used in India for natural pearls traded at Basra.

Hence while I share Caitlin's opinion that Basra pearls could have originated anywhere, perhaps over 90% (just to quote a number) originated from the Gulf, back in those days (over 60-80 years ago). Since the natural pearls in majority came from the gulf, rejecting the term "Basra" is going a bit too-far, Caitlin. Again, that's my opinion too!

One more pearl necklace..

One more pearl necklace..

Hi there,
was inactive for long.Here again bringing you a 32 piece Natural pearl necklace. Natural because, basra term offends lots of people here.
The size wary from 3.2 carats to 13.5 carats.

Attachments

• DSC02932.jpg
    DSC02932.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 36
Thanks for coming back and posting that photo. I'm sorry if I sounded offended; I only meant to be opinionated.

Those pearls look humongous, ginormus, and natural. Do you have any information about them?

Thanks for coming back and posting that photo. I'm sorry if I sounded offended; I only meant to be opinionated.

Those pearls look humongous, ginormus, and natural. Do you have any information about them?

Hiii Caitlin. Apologies from my part..Glad that you liked those..Again a family owned necklace. In the family since last 150 odd years.

Well, thank you for showing us photos of pearls we would never see if you hadn't posted. That seems to be the size of a Baroda strand.
What sizes are the pearls on that last one?

I love how round they are. They were matched for size and roundness over color and I think it works.
I like the variations in color, as slight as they probably are in real life.

Well, thank you for showing us photos of pearls we would never see if you hadn't posted. That seems to be the size of a Baroda strand.
What sizes are the pearls on that last one?

I love how round they are. They were matched for size and roundness over color and I think it works.
I like the variations in color, as slight as they probably are in real life.

My pleasure..Have to measure the mm size..will get back to you as soon as its is done.
Thanks for such great words..

Hii there,
The approximate sizes are:
Smallest pearl-6.4 mm
Largest Pearl-18.7 mm

Whew! That is a stunning size. Super duper rare. The closest to one strand of the Baroda or maybe that one of Wallace Simpsons, I have ever even seen a photo of.

When would it have been worn and by whom? Not a name just a role, like king or bride or something like that.

As per my grandfather it was purchased from the princely estate of Hyderabad in mid 18th century.. So i guess its been worn by the prince as well as by the queen :p

Privately owned pearls like these do not often show up in public places, so I appreciate your going public with such rare gems. BTW That one simply has to be from Pinctada Maximas! (wink)

Back