Bahamian Black Pearl

S

Shaboozie

I believe it is from a quahog. Can anyone help me locate a buyer.

Attachments

• bp2.JPG
    bp2.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Bahamian Black Pearl

I believe the pearl you are referring to is the one found at Sandy Point, Abaco on the 15th of January. Did you happen to weigh it? I have examined the pearl under microscope and have found some fractures which cause me to wonder if it is, in fact, a pearl or if it is glass. I too would like to know it's value and am also searching for a buyer for the owner.

Bahamian Black Pearl

Here is the story given to us at Conch Pearl Galleries, Marsh Harbour, Abaco on 16th January. A woman brought the pearl in saying it was found at Sandy Point by her daughter who was opening clams. The clam was not a quahog - but we are unsure exactly what it was as the clam was discarded. The daughter said the inside of the clam was black, as was the meat and that it was not pleasant to look at. As a result the daughter called to her mother to come look. The mother said she did not at first see the pearl, but poked at the meat and felt it, then popped it out. She said she thought her daughter may have damaged the surface of the pearl slightly when she opened the clam. The pearl, if it is that, weighs 24.27 cts. It has a high luster and seems to have small conchoidal fractures on the surface that might lead one to think it might be glass. It also has lines where it appears the surface has flowed.

The buzz around town is that the woman has an impeccible reputation for honesty. Although Conch Pearl Galleries has an excellent Graduate Gemologist, G.I.A....even he is unsure and we think it ought to go to the G.I.A. for evaluation. What is your thought? P.S. We have the pearl in our posession. Jo-Ann Bradley

Hi Jo-Ann,
If the owner wants to spend the money for a cert then sending the pearl to the AGTA LAb will give you a result in two weeks. GIA is backed up with work at the moment and will have a much longer turn around. If the pearl did indeed come from a clam and is Black (void of any over tone colors) then it will not have much value. In the World of natural pearls color sells. If you can provide a shell from which this "pearl" was found you may find an interested collector.
I'm affraid that the picture does not show well. My first impression from the picture is that it is glass. A trained eye with the help of magnification should resolve the question.
Good Luck.
Jeremy Norris

Reply to Jeremy

Reply to Jeremy

Hi Jeremy. Thanks so much for the information! Yesterday a geologist happened by the store and took a look at the "pearl" under a microscope...and decided that it was definately glass because she saw some conchoidal fractures on the surface. If that is so we wonder how the object got into the clam..as they rarely open up more than a few millimeters. Also, these clams live under the sand...hmmm. We will pass on the suggestion to have the item evaluated further and keep everyone updated. Thanks. Jo-Ann

Back