Baby's First Miki's?

kellik

I am a lover of Pearls, I bought three strings when I visited China in 2004, gave two to my Grandmothers and kept one. The plan is for inheritance through the maternal granddaughters (complicated, I know). Anyway, in thinking ahead I would love to give our daughter (who does not have pierced ears, but I assume one day she will) her first set of pearls for her first birthday. Do we spend the money for Miki's or is there a better option? And what size should I look for? Understanding that I fully intend to keep them safely locked away in the safe with my collection (save for special occasions) until she turns 18 or 21 or gets married or until I give her my Grandmother's pearls. The thought is that she will inherit valuable pearls.

SOOOO sad to read the posts about people wanting to sell their grandmothers pearls....gulp.

~Kelli

Your daughter is lucky to have a mom who loves pearls!

Personally I think a better plan is to buy her pearls when she is older. Pearls kept in a safe tend to dry out-- it's not good for the nacre. They need to be taken out and worn from time to time.

Mikimoto is an excellent brand, but remember you are paying for the brand name. Gem quality pearls can also be bought from online vendors who charge much less. Read up on Hanadama pearls (not a brand name; it refers to akoya pearls that have been certified by a Japanese lab to meet a particular high standard of nacre thickness, surface quality etc.)

Pearl quality is still improving as culturing techniques expand, become more skilled and diverse. I'd also advise waiting. Who knows what might be available in, say, 20 years. (after all, consider what was possible 20 years ago...)

While you are waiting to buy pearls of future unknown marvelous quality, how about starting an add-a-pearl necklace for her? My bff started one for my daughter -- one pearl at birth (or at age one?), then two added every birthday until Sweet 16 or later. You could make one with really gorgeous pearls. Or a tin cup style with a variety of pearls picked annually just for her.

Back