Aunty’s Pearls

kamkam

5AD09A3F-8982-41E9-BBF6-720C4E858BE2.jpg1F61BB79-A700-4CC7-BCFA-3C08F7BCF90F.jpg6B6492DA-F8F4-4108-861F-54BE7094AEE1.jpg14EFCB53-5EB1-4F35-B7B6-833AE69AE2DB.jpg

1) Clasp: Rose with diamond in the center,
Engraving: [H symbol]14K
Pearl approx. diameter: 8mm
Total approx. length w/ clasp: 17inches
Weight: 41.16grams

2) Engraving: [unknown/shell shaped symbol?]14KT
Pearls approx. diameter: 6mm
Total approx. length w/ clasp: 25inches
Weight: 34.56grams

2a) Earrings
Pearl diameter: 6mm
Engraving: ZZ (R) .565

Was given these several years ago by an aunty who passed. I’ve always loved the classic beauty of pearls! I’m just now learning about them, and found this wonderful place.
From the information I’ve been stumbling through online, I hope I’ve provided the right information on my beauties!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
They look like a nice strand of cultured akoya pearls, and akoya earrings. 565 or .565 would be 12K gold (i.e. 565 parts gold out of 1000).

The strand really needs to be restrung. See how worn the thread is where it meets the clasp? The pearls are is in danger of being lost if the thread breaks. Silk gets weak over time due to exposure to moisture, body oils, environmental pollution etc.

You can either get them restrung professionally, or if you are inclined, you can restring them yourself. Many of us do that-- it's easy to do, many find it relaxing, and it saves money. See our tutorials and videos on the Lowly Beaders Club.

Oh thank you ����.

From all the reading I’ve done, I had hoped that’s what’s they were! Are both strands Akoya pearls? There’s one longer strand that matches the earrings and then the other, that has the rose clasp with a small diamond set in it.

I don’t plan on selling, but a woman I was talking with about them had given me a pretty low-ball offer, and I felt like it might have been because she saw value?. Do you know what price range they would be in?

Thank you for the info on finding the tutorials! I’m excited to learn to restring them��

They both look like akoyas, yes. It's the one with the fishhook clasp that has the very worn thread near the clasp, but both should be restrung for safety.

When talking about value, there is replacement value, for insurance purposes, resale value (which is lower-- we buy at retail but sell at wholesale) and of course, sentimental or family value, which cannot be measured except by the person who owns them.

Pearls do not tend to hold value on resale, unless they are historic pearls or a well-known brand like Mikimoto. If the woman you spoke to was wanting to buy them in order to resell them herself, she would give you a low offer so that she could make a profit when reselling. If you want to see what pearls like yours tend to sell for, look at already-sold similar items on eBay and other other venues. Again, look at sold prices, not listing prices, as the sold items show what people are actually willing to pay.

Since you are going to restring, if you want to replace either clasp, now is the time. You can find clasps from many vendors.

Back