are these pearls?

Spot on Pearl dreams, I reckon they are simulated pearls.

The second set looks like they could be akoya, the nacre looks worn at the back of the strand so be careful when knotting(hard to tell how worn from picture).

If the pearls are worn down to the nucleus they can be very porous and brittle.

Caitlin, re the blemishes, I have enclosed a picture of simulated pearls with a blemish - I keep all sorts as I do repair work. Its usually the shell base pearls with the blemishes.
SimPearl_Dent.jpg

Mary Montpezat, did you mean cotton pearls, there is actually such a simulant, they are literally made from spun cotton and then a special coating put on them, quite beautiful in luster.
The Japanese were masters of these and the Germans also made them.

Ecurie, I do not encourage the use of any cleaning product on simulated pearls as you cannot be 100 per cent sure of the outcome.

update from ecurie

update from ecurie

Well, the beads and i have been all over the map! One jeweler thought they were south seas, one thought junk, one thought nice imitations, one guy said he had no clue, one woman said for a small fee i could trade them in on a new strand. So i'm just going to call them "The Bodacious Beads", take good care of them and wear the bejabbers out of them. They certainly look MOST BEAUTIFUL since they've been washed and while the sting is still kind of grunjy, i can fix that.
All the other pearls i've looked at have that smooth as glass finish and these just don't. The reflect beautifully and they've got that soft look that i like.

Now, if you think i'm done bugging you, you'd be wrong. I'm going to learn to tie knots and then if they're not done the way i like them, i have only myself to blame... and i can do it until they're just right. There's only one knot in the strand that i can get a picture of. I'm going to put it up here and maybe someone can tell me what kind of knot it is and then i'll practice, practice, practice. I have lots of goofy old beads to practice on.

There's also a picture of BBs (Bodacious Beads) all cleaned and shiny after hanging out in the bathroom with the shower running... read somewhere that they like some moisture.

THANKS SOOOOO VERY MUCH for all your good information and kind help .. more help with the knot please??!!
xoxo
mayrWatermelon tourmalineSheri's tattoo   full viewsheri's tattoo   mermaid closeup2sheri's tattoo   fairy closeup2sheri's tattoo   Clyde and bat2cozumel blue fish

LOL, what a hoot! Your first paragraph could be placed on the homepage of Pearl-Guide.com as the reason this Website and this forum exists. People automatically assume jewelers will know about pearls, when the truth is, almost no jewelers have more than a very remedial knowledge of pearls (but very, very few will ever let on). But a couple were correct. The pearls pictured above are indeed faux.

We have videos and threads on knotting. It only takes a thread, a beading needle, and some scissors to cut the thread to do the job. Well, you will need a clasp, since you don't have one, and perhaps, some gimp. Read up and ask away. There are good books on stringing and knotting in our book section.

The knot is an overhand knot. You know. The ONE knot you already know how to do, even if you don't know the name!

Back