Are these pearls real?

D

dobie629

Here are a couple of pictures of a pearl necklace my sister inherited from her mother-in-law. She didn't think they were worth anything so she gave them to my mother who is 89 years old and has dementia. I think they may be real and if they are, I certainly don't want my mother to "lose" them. They have a slightly yellow cast, and are gritty when I do the "tooth test". They are threaded on what looks like silk thread and there are knots between each pearl. The clasp is gold with a pearl on the front, and on the back of the clasp there is something engraved. I think it is 42228. I'm not sure because it's very small.
I know this is not a lot to go on, and I'm not sure how the pictures will come across, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Attachments

• pearls4.jpg
    pearls4.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 34
  • pearls5.jpg
    pearls5.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 33
Your mother's pearls

Your mother's pearls

Hi Dobie,

I can hardly tell anything from these pictures. Maybe you can take more close-up ones of the clasp and the pearls on a white background?

Zeide

more photos of pearls

more photos of pearls

I have taken some more photos. I'm not sure they're any better than the others, but it's worth a try. I have taken them with a digital camera on a white background, but I still haven't learned all the settings on my camera.

Attachments

• Dscn1497.jpg
    Dscn1497.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Dscn1505.jpg
    Dscn1505.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 50
  • Dscn1506.jpg
    Dscn1506.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Dscn1509.jpg
    Dscn1509.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 'gut' feeling about the strand, but I really cannot be certain. Does your camera have a macro feature? It is the setting with the small flower. If so, set it to this setting use an indirect natural light source (or diffused), and try to get one shot directly on the pearls and another angled shot, preferably near the clasp. Set at macro you should be able to focus on 4-5 pearls.

Also, in your second shot of your first post there is a space between the 7th and 8th pearl on the right side. If you pull the clasp side taught and down while holding onto the 8th pearl under direct light, you should be able to see down the drill hole. If so, what can you see?
Also, they appear to be round. Is this the case? How about the 5th bead from the clasp (on the right as well).

Your mother's pearls

Your mother's pearls

It would be good to get a shot of a drill hole. However, I have seen this design before from Majorica. That does not mean they have to be Majoricas, it is just a similar design.

Zeide

Real or Faux

Real or Faux

If you'd like, we can determine whether they are real for you, for free. Just give us a call to arrange shipping.

1-866-673-3036

Let's try one more time...

Let's try one more time...

Here are a few more pictures of the pearls I have. I appreciate your ideas..and your patience. This has become a quest now...even if I don't find out anything about the pearls, I have learned a little about digital photography :))

I tried looking into the drill hole, but I'm sorry to say I couldn't see anything. The drill hole is too small.

Attachments

• Dscn1537.jpg
    Dscn1537.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Dscn1526.jpg
    Dscn1526.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Dscn1524.jpg
    Dscn1524.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Dscn1530.jpg
    Dscn1530.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 38
Your mom's pearls

Your mom's pearls

Hi Dobie,

I still cannot make out conclusive details, but the style strongly suggests Mallorca beads or possibly cultura beads from Japan both types can feel somewhat gritty in the tooth test but not as gritty as cultured pearls. You may want to take them to a jeweler to find out for sure. Anyhow, they look like they are a uniform 8mm which would have been very expensive in cultured pearls before the recent Chinese pearl revolution and your parents would have mentioned purchasing or getting such a valuable item.

Zeide

Back