Antique Shop Button Pearl Necklace

eco_3

Hi everyone,

I purchased pearls on a whim at an antique store outside of Boston-I know my girlfriend adores pearls, and she likes the color garnet, so this necklace drew my attention. Only problem is I know very little about pearls, so I was hoping to get a better understanding whether I made a foolish purchase, as this necklace cost me $75.

First, these are real pearls-they have a gritty feel when dragged across the face of a tooth and are cold to the touch. The button pearls (34 in total) measure 8mm in diameter and 6.35mm (1/4") tall and are all uniform with a circular protrusion on the flats (not sure how else to describe this). There are 35 deep red stones (4mm diameter) spaced between the pearls and a 14k gold clasp (engraved '585')

The tag calls these stones Amethyst, which seemed wrong-these are a deep red, not purple. The store owner said they are more likely garnet or maybe even cherry amber. A quick google search leads me to believe these are garnet (example 2) and not cherry amber (a little darker than what I have) or amethyst (not purple!)

Let me know what you think, I just want to be sure I'm not presenting overpriced junk to my girlfriend. I had to use a wide aperture in some photos, so not all the pearls may be in focus. Thanks!
pearls-1.jpg
pearls-2.jpg
pearls-3.jpg
pearls-4.jpgpearls-5.jpg

You did fine. You've got a strand of Chinese freshwater pearls in button shape. They almost look like small coin pearls, but you described one side as "flats" so I am assuming the other is more convex. That would make them tissue-graft buttons most likely.

I can't say much about the stones, but for $75, you did fine on the pearls.

I'd say you bought a modern, handcrafted pearl and garnet necklace. Those look like crimp beads near the clasp, which would mean the strand is strung on beading wire. This is not an unusual price for a handcrafted necklace.

It was a thoughtful purchase and I think your girlfriend will appreciate it.

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate your feedback :) My girlfriend will love this necklace!

Back