Another string of pearls...and a ring

Hi,

A beautiful set. Were you able to upload the certification? If you live near San Francisco, you could look at what naturals I have in stock to see if anything attracts you.

Tom Stern,MD

I just wanted to thank all the members who responded. Thank you all for being so helpful.
I was looking at some of the pearls on offer at the upcoming Dubai Christies sale and think I may have to revise my aspirations downwards. Some of the larger natural pearls are hugely expensive.
This graduated string (unlike a few others that I have seen) seems to have quite a few in the 6-8mm size up front rather than one big pearl and then dropping away quickly in size. I think this helps the string look more striking even though it is short. When I see it, it looks quite modest and even the pearls between 6 and 8.4mm dont seem particularly large. But then I havent seen too much pearl jewelery!
I had a thought about dismantling the ring (which truly I am very unlikely to use) and putting the two larger pearls in the middle of the necklace - I am not sure what size they are but they are certainly larger than the ones in the 8mm range in the middle of the necklace. Am I able to do it? - not sure how a pearl in a ring is set?
Eventually I was also thinking maybe I should save up and buy one large (and I mean really large) natural for the middle. Perhaps even a nice teardrop shape. That should then make the necklace perhaps more interesting overall and would also be my contribution to the piece.

About the ring....if you have a daughter, she may someday like to own a ring of her great great grandmother's...if not, then what about cufflinks?

Hi SevenOranges,

That is an interesting thought to put the ring pearls in the necklace. They perhaps are half-drilled and set on a post in the ring. They likely could be removed and drilled all the way through by someone who knows what they are doing. If for some reason they were not drilled at all and just prong set, they could still be drilled. Someone may need to examine the ring closely with a loupe, do you have one? and tell how the pearls are fastened in. I do not feel it would diminish the value of the pearls to have them put in the necklace. And would add to the over all value of the necklace. Perhaps you could then add the third pearl as you suggested. It is important, as you realize, that someone very experienced with PEARLS, not just any jewelry store, do any work on your ring. Please do keep us informed------they are truly wonderful treasures!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

p.s. I went back and looked at the photo of the ring. I doubt the prongs are long enough to be actually wrapping past the middle of the pearl. If the underneath side of the pearls are solid gold, they probably are set on a post.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are set on a prong and are half drilled, and I would need to continue to have them drilled in the same direction, then should I worry that the prongs may have left marks on the two pearls please?

Examination through a loupe( at least 10x magnification) will enable a thorough evaluation of any marks on the pearls, there might even be small wear marks on the top of the pearls. Yes, the pearls would need to be drilled in the same direction. It is not good to have an extra drill hole! All things to be carefully considered!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

SevenOranges said:
I had a thought about dismantling the ring (which truly I am very unlikely to use) and putting the two larger pearls in the middle of the necklace - I am not sure what size they are but they are certainly larger than the ones in the 8mm range in the middle of the necklace. Am I able to do it?

How about having hem set in a clasp that could be worn in the front or on the side rather then then back of the necklace (much like a permanent enhancer)? The pearls would not have to be re-drilled, and the result could be an interesting piece of jewelry.

It isn't uncommon to see significant jeweled clasps on smaller pearl necklaces then yours. Quite appropriate for the seriousness of natural pearls ;), I would think... and it feels better if it doesn't really take an expert to single them out either (shallow thought :eek:, but... it is jewelry after all).

Last edited by a moderator:
Drilled or not please?

Drilled or not please?

On contacting a couple of Bahraini sources, I was told that they would be able to find me a few loose natural 10mm to 12mm pearls. At some point I will have to take the necklace over, or have a friend who is there take it, to them to match the colour. However, they asked if I wanted them undrilled or drilled. I assumed having them drilled already was probably a better thing? Any opinions please?
By the way, they come with a certification from the Bahrain government lab - has anyone had certificates from this source and then had any issues getting a "western" lab retest them please?

On contacting a couple of Bahraini sources, I was told that they would be able to find me a few loose natural 10mm to 12mm pearls. At some point I will have to take the necklace over, or have a friend who is there take it, to them to match the colour. However, they asked if I wanted them undrilled or drilled. I assumed having them drilled already was probably a better thing? Any opinions please?
By the way, they come with a certification from the Bahrain government lab - has anyone had certificates from this source and then had any issues getting a "western" lab retest them please?

Hi SevenOranges,
reg the drilling: if I were you I would make sure that the pearls from the necklace match the loose ones in colour, shape, so don?t let them drill yet, probably then you would have to take them as they are worth less for the seller when drilled as they must match with whatever jewellry they are supposed to be together. Whoever goes there whith the necklace must know exactly what she/he wants, needs and can afford as well.

Reg. certification I know nothing but you could ask Tom Stern or Caitlin, they might be able to help you.
Keep us posted, please.:)

I think that the Bahraini lab is impeccable. They exist to identify natural pearls and root out PPB's.

I do not believe any other certificate is necessary, Those Bahrainis are the grandaddies of all pearls and other labs should accept them, even honor their reputation. I would be very surprised if their opinion is not good accross the world, but you could ask at Christies or Sothebys, even email the GIA or CIBJO to be sure.

Don't have them drilled until you know they match and after you buy them. They will probably do it right there.

Back