Akoya overtone - rose vs silver-rose

saltyorfresh

Community member
Hi

I have decided to get a 16' AAA akoya but can't decide on the overtone. I know for sure that ivory doesn't work for me. i am Chinese with fair skin but i do get a little tanned in summer so my color changes throughout the year (just to complicate things a bit!). I've tried pink and silver which seem to be both ok. But I don't like the very pinkish ones that miki carries (ar... it's hard to describe the overtone and i don't have any photos that really capture the color to illustrate what i mean... sorry!)... anyways, i received 2 photos from Mia which she put a rose, and a silver-rose side by side. The rose one seems a little too pink in one photo but in another, i just can't tell the two strands apart.

1) are overtones obvious in person?
2) would silver-rose 'appear' to be more shiny because of the silver overtone?

Thanks!

no expert here...but my wife has tanned skin (as she is from Bangladesh). IMO and her's, a rose overtone suits her tanned skin very well. I'm sure you've noticed that the 'look' of the pearls appear a little different when you're wearing them, versus when they are in their box (for obvious reasons). My wife notices the same...and she actually isn't all that fond of the rose overtone when she isn't wearing the pearls...but when she puts them on, she does love how they look on her skin.

Last edited:
Your skin overtone stays the same...either crimson pink or yellow, so the pearls have to go with that. Which looks better on you..blue or yellow clothes ?my skin is yellowish even though I look pink so peach etc shades look like nothing, they blend in. I need the blue of lavender tones to really stand out. This may or may not help you pick white pearls......

I would say the undertone of your skin is always the same, either warmer with gold undertones or cooler, which has blue undertones. So, summer or winter the same color will still be fine.

Red is an overtone, unless you are albino, but few Asians have that florid complexion.

Tried on a few diff overtones at Miki (feeling a bit guilty to try on their necklace with no intention of buying there...). Anyways, looks like silver-rose work best. Will post some pics as soon as I receive them :)

Quite right Caitlin, undertone or base note either yellow or crimson/red (or green if you are from vulcan of course)
what sort of pearls would suit vulcans I wonder?

LOL. I hold that the undertones are either blue or yellow and that red is not an undertone. I learned that from 'Color me Beautiful'. I have a sallow skin, but my undertones are blue, which surprised me. Maybe that old 80's book is out of touch.....

In any case Lop Noors would be just the ticket. ;)

Back