ADVICE on RM suppliers

KEH

I'm a small size jewelry designer based out of Chicago, and have been trying to figure out what the best sourcing options are in terms of fresh water pearls. I have had limited experience with youpearl, and the quality in comparison to the prices seemed very fair. I've also done a little background research from the forum threads and have purchased one or two thing from ebay sellers (pearllunar, and icomepacks) and was pleased again with the overall results. Also I've seen mention of pacificpearls, and Kojima although I have yet to actually order anything from them.

I'm wondering what who you would recommend for suppliers? Ideally I'm looking for as close to manufacturer as possible while avoiding the insane MOQ requirements of people at the head of the supply chain. Specific items of interest for my current designs are japanese keshi pearls, fw keshis (reborn), nucleated fireball pearls, baroque nugget pearls. Thank so much in advance for reading and possibly providing me with so pointers! First hand advice on suppliers is priceless and makes purchasing items much less stressful!

Welcome KEH,

Yes, recommend you talk to Sarah at Kojima Pearls/Pacific Pearls. Very honest and helpful! I recommend her without hesitation. She carries the types of pearls you mentioned. Agree with you that developing a wholesale relationship within the US would be helpful. Many available pearls would not be listed on the Kojima website, although it would give you an idea of the variety. They will be showing at Tucson Gen Show in a few days, will you be there?

I do see that Intergem will be in Chicago in May. Have you attended that show before?

One of my other suppliers, John Tu of Taiko Imports, exhibits at the Gem Faires in the West Coast area, but doesn't have a website. I'm sure others will have ideas for you.

What is MOQ?

yeah -- sorry I'm so used to my business abbreviations ! Thanks for the input I definitely plan on purchasing higher quality items from Kojima in the near future. As for the more "commodity" type pearls that are used in basic designs constantly does anyone have any advice on wholesalers (overseas or domestic) similar to youpearl? Thanks so much again for everything !

Oh sorry yeah I meant minium order quantity a lot of wholesalers require you to purchase "lot quantities" in order for them to be profitable after all the charges associated with shipping / handling, packaging, and various transaction fees. Thanks for the input I definitely do plan on talking to Sara and purchasing some pearls for my higher quality design requirements from her.

I'm also looking to find a decent wholesaler / supplier of "commodity" pearls for my lower cost products? Does any one have recommendations on wholesaler options for high quality freshwater pearls (at lower(ER) prices?)? Something similar to youpearl? Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond?

Try Rainbow Island Pearls on eBay. She has all the usual pearls and you can buy small quantities. There are other online outfits that carry the bead store quality pearls or commercial grade. I don't know if the Pearl Emporium is still going on EBay, but I used to like them. Also Integrity Pearls is online. They recently changed hands, but they carry the kind of pearls you were describing earlier.

I'll go look for linx, but you can check them out too. Beadaholique, Art beads, they all carry the samish pearls. Fire mountain and othr will give discouns for quantity.

Last edited:
Youpearl review. https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/consumer-pearl-q/2991-youpearl-com.html
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/YouPearl_Jewelry

If the quality is not as represented or if you want to return to youpearl, there apparently are barriers to returning them and/or getting your money back as they are in China. Personally, I would NEVER use youpearl. They sell Chinese schlock jewelry, too. They use stock photos at best and stolen photos at worst, though no one from here has reported youpearl has stolen their own photos, the websites that put up the schlock jewelry and loose pearls for the factories are two different operations- and the websites use whatever photos are the cheapest- which means stolen from the internet.Other outfits marketed remarkably like youpearl have used stolen photos, I am just waiting for people here to check out their website.

thank you for that info I had no idea that was the case. Had I known I would not have purchased from them! As far as my experience with them, I actually didn't have any issues. LET ME STATE I would NEVER purchase "high priced" items (anything $20.00 or more) but for the basic stuff that I use in some of my lower priced designs their general strands worked out just fine.

[Obviously I would be willing to spend $100.00 + on items from Kojima or other recommended reputable with a solid background I guess from my business background etc. BUT that's never something I would do with first time trial basis retailers such as youpearl]

That being said I would really love to find a good company either manufacturer direct or at least a distributor integrated with the actual manufacturers. After trial and error in various different industries I've found this is almost always the way to get the best quality items at the most competitive prices. I know all industries are different so I could be reaching for the impossible but I thought it was at least worth it to check with the experts (you guys) and see! THANKS AGAIN

Just to add my newbie two cents...I have found that the ebay chinese suppliers with very high positive ratings have been quite reliable. I've never had them refuse to reimburse me on Paypal if I sent a note complaining. I too bought from Youpearl when I started and they sent something listed as AAA and it clearly wasnt. (I mean it was like 10.00 so I knew they weren't Akoya lol) But I sent them a note thru ebay suggesting that they shouldn't have called them AAA and they responded within 24hrs, most apologetic and reimbursed my money. I offered to send them back and they said 'keep them' . This has happened probably 8 times, various suppliers, with things that either didn't arrive or the quality was not as expected..each time I had a 'sorry friend' note and my money back. Maybe I've been lucky, but they really don't want a bad review!!

It's a gamble, but the amounts are small. Check on the suppliers here and the ones previously mentioned, you'll prob get better value.:cool:

Back