Advice on care and storage of these pearls

Fyrcat

Hi, I am new to this forum, as I have recently acquired some fabulous South Sea Pearls. I purchased these from a good friend for a bit of money, but nowhere what they appraise for. As a matter of fact, my jeweler is having a difficult time finding a value of these due to their exceptional quality and size. This strand is 17” and the 25 pearls range from 15-16mm with only 3-4 pearls with one little flea bite/dimple/blemish on them, and a platinum/diamond clasp. They were purchased years ago, maybe a couple of decades ago in Greece from Stavros Papadopoulos. I cannot find any info on this jeweler. In any case, I want to store them in my safe, but it is air tight. This winter where the safe is, the temps went below freezing for quite a few days. Is this ok for these pearls? I got nervous and took them out and brought them into the house. We live in a dry climate, so what would be the best way to store them So they do not dry out? And, should they be kept in velvet, silk, cotton or??? I want to keep them beautiful and as pristine as they are for my daughter and grandaughter. In addition, how many years would it take for pearls of this size to grow? Just being super curious..thank you in advance!
31CBC01F-F14B-435F-8654-150F9D5904F9.jpeg
A9B2CA39-114C-4341-8DA0-B4340E6B905C.jpeg

If you google "Stavros Papadoloplous jeweler", 2 results come up. One is a shop in Cavo Tagoo Hotel, Tagoo, Mykonos. Another is a small article for which you have to accept cookies to be able to read it (I did not.)

I don't like the idea of storing pearls below freezing either, but I have never experimented with it. Are you at great risk of a burglary? I've read that burglars go to the main bedroom first, since that is where most women store their jewelry, so don't store them there.

A dry environment is not good for pearls generally. Could you place a little dish of water in the safe to humidify the air in there? Other than that, a great way to provide moisture is to wear them! Pearls benefit from being worn. As to a pouch, silk is very good, or any soft cloth. I'd be more concerned that the diamond clasp could scratch the pearls, so I'd wrap a soft cloth around the clasp.

If you google "Stavros Papadoloplous jeweler", 2 results come up. One is a shop in Cavo Tagoo Hotel, Tagoo, Mykonos. Another is a small article for which you have to accept cookies to be able to read it (I did not.)

I don't like the idea of storing pearls below freezing either, but I have never experimented with it. Are you at great risk of a burglary? I've read that burglars go to the main bedroom first, since that is where most women store their jewelry, so don't store them there.

A dry environment is not good for pearls generally. Could you place a little dish of water in the safe to humidify the air in there? Other than that, a great way to provide moisture is to wear them! Pearls benefit from being worn. As to a pouch, silk is very good, or any soft cloth. I'd be more concerned that the diamond clasp could scratch the pearls, so I'd wrap a soft cloth around the clasp.
Thank you so much!

Such big beautiful South Sea gems! Your daughter and granddaughter are so lucky! I've heard that it can take several "seasons" of pearl harvests to locate enough pearls of that size and quality to assemble a matching strand, and that is why they are so expensive...but the experts on this site will know much more. Be sure to wear them. Anything that beautiful doesn't belong in a safe, at least not all the time.

And I guess you'll just have to wear them under your sweaters when it gets that cold, to keep these little beauties hydrated, safe and warm against your skin!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I keep my high-end strands in this box, available on Amazon. As PearlDreams said, it is a good idea to keep them stored so the clasp cannot scratch the pearls.

Here is a pair of South Sea (same quality as your necklace) earrings I made out of 2 diamond pendant findings. I had my jeweler add a thick post so they could be "dangle" South Sea Earrings for my South Sea strand. Now YOU need matching earrings, right!
IMG_1974[1].JPG

Last edited:
I keep my high-end strands in this box, available on Amazon. As PearlDreams said, it is a good idea to keep them stored so the clasp cannot scratch the pearls.

Here is a pair of South Sea (same quality as your necklace) earrings I made out of 2 diamond pendant findings. I had my jeweler add a thick post so they could be "dangle" South Sea Earrings for my South Sea strand. Now YOU need matching earrings, right!
View attachment 463699
Your earrings are stunning!!! I actually have pearl earrings. Here they are..
CA80C334-A6F9-4EAA-953E-B6CF9BF99616.jpeg
3A0076A5-F78E-41C4-8AB5-E682E5F948C5.jpeg

Back