Advice for knotting a pearl rope?

StevieBoy

Good evening friends!

I have a few 24 inch strands of fwp coming in, and would love to hear any advice on how to:
1) knot an opera length strand while keeping the silk straight. Would i knot a long continuous silk? Or could i knot in sections, and connect the silk somehow? How do i prevent the strings from tangleing?
2) pattern ideas. I am getting three 24 inch strands of rice shaped fwp that are about 11mmX14 in white, pink, and gray.
-thinking of two 36 strands: white + pink, white + gray, that way i have a “cool” and a “warm” strand
Or
-mix all three colors alternating? Color blocked?

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts!

three 24 inch strands of rice shaped fwp that are about 11mm X 14mm in whitethree 24 inch strands of rice shaped fwp that are about 11mm X 14mm in pinkthree 24 inch strands of rice shaped fwp that are about 11mm X 14mm in gray

StevieBoy, when you have them in hand, maybe there will be more clarity as to how to use them. Sometimes after I get all the pearls I want to use together, I have a change of plans because something will pop out. As for keeping the thread from tangling, I only load about 6-7 pearls on the thread at a time. After I knot those, I do a loose pinch with my fingers starting at the last pearl and moving along the thread all the way to the needle. This helps get some of the twisting out of the thread before loading the next 6-7 pearls. I also sent you a message about thread-

I thread the entire necklace onto a doubled length of Beader's Secret, and through a half a clasp. The thread is 5 or 6 times the length of the finished necklace. I clip a hemostat onto the cut ends so nothing slides off. I slide a pearl up to the clasp. I do an overhand knot with the clasp end, and then pull the two strands apart to snug the knot up to the pearl. Slide the next pearl up to the clasp, overhand knot, pull the two strands apart to snug the knot up next to the pearl, lather rinse repeat. I have to do some fudging at the last three pearls, so I make sure they have the largest holes since I need to go through the second half of the clasp, and thread back through each pearl and knot between them.

Last edited:
StevieBoy, Your idea of 2 strands will be versatile and attractive! Lots of good suggestions from the 3 experienced stringers above. A few additional ideas:
1. Make some "sample" color mixes on temporary strands to see what you like (show us, too, of course).
2. Have a large work area such as dining room table, so you can leave everything out until finished-helps with tangling, too.
3. It is important to smooth the threads to keep them even and untwisted and knot tightly as pearls 11x14mm are heavy. A twisted area can catch inside the pearl and then release later, leaving a gap!
4. Pearl Dreams tutorial is the absolute best; I don't know of any way to join sections of knotted pearls and have them be as secure as a continuous strand.

Thank you everyone for your solid advice!

I’ve been watching youtube videos and practicing on some old stock gemstone beads that i have.

As soon as the pearls come, i will be sure to take pics and update! ❤️

So, i got my inexpensive FWP in finally, and i was so excited to practice my knotting!

They were advertised as 0.8mm holes, so i got some 0.4mm nylon thread… but my bead needle was having the hardest time going through the holes 🥲🙃

I temporarily strung the pink/white strand on soft wire with crimp beads and morganite beads at the ends near the clasp.

Im going to try and hunt down a thinner beading needle in the meantime!

IMG_3427.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 84
Hi StevieBoy, I think you might have better luck with Patty's Serafil thread. She even offers a Stringing Starter Kit on her Etsy store which includes gimp and a variety of beading needles. Serafil is strong, forgiving and produces lovely knots. Size 30 works with most pearls.

I thread the entire necklace onto a doubled length of Beader's Secret, and through a half a clasp. The thread is 5 or 6 times the length of the finished necklace. I clip a hemostat onto the cut ends so nothing slides off. I slide a pearl up to the clasp. I do an overhand knot with the clasp end, and then pull the two strands apart to snug the knot up to the pearl. Slide the next pearl up to the clasp, overhand knot, pull the two strands apart to snug the knot up next to the pearl, lather rinse repeat. I have to do some fudging at the last three pearls, so I make sure they have the largest holes since I need to go through the second half of the clasp, and thread back through each pearl and knot between them.
That's how I do it too. I like this method but Pattye wasn't a fan of drilling those last few pearls larger. I do understand that concept, especially with much more expensive Tahitians and South Sea pearls. However, with cheaper freshwater pearls, I agree that this is a good method. As Pattye also said, it is a preference and as long as you or your customer are happy with the results, do what works best for you.,

Hi everyone! Here’s an update with how i ended up stringing those pearls together 🤗

I made one gray & white “Yin/Yang” type strand, with the pearls gradually mixing into another. I had 3 smaller gray freshies loose from another prpject that helped make the transition between colors smoother.

With the pink & white necklace, i just alternated the colors evenly 🤗

Thank you everyone for all your advice!

gray and white rope
IMG_3754.jpeg
IMG_3452.jpeg
IMG_3446.jpeg

They turned out great. I like how "steel" the grey pearls look. And I like how they change into the white pearls. It's similar how when I'm threading my loom for an ombre' fabric how I handle the transitions between colored threads.

They turned out great. I like how "steel" the grey pearls look. And I like how they change into the white pearls. It's similar how when I'm threading my loom for an ombre' fabric how I handle the transitions between colored threads.
Thank you! It took me a while with the yin/yang one because the 2nd lot of white pearls i got to supplement didnt match in luster or shape/size 🥲

i toyed with mixing with these faceted spectrolite beads i have, and hematite… but i just wasnt keen on them

instead, i did a rinse and buff of the chalky white pearls with distilled water and then soft polish with mineral oil, and it improved the look of the whites SIGNIFICANTLY. I think the vendor had these whites on a dusty shelf, or maybe the dust was from the drilling.

You did a great job. I like both strands!

Back