AAA-A & A-D systems in books or journals

G

gustaf

Dear all,
I am in desperate need of publications (books or journals) describing about AAA-A & A-D systems for my thesis :(. Any info?

Thanks a lot :).
Gustaf
-------
Gustaf Mamangkey (gustaf.mamangkey@jcu.edu.au)
PhD Student
Pearl Oyster Research Group
School of Marine & Tropical Biology
James Cook University
Townsville, Queensland 4811
AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61(7)4781 6657
Fax: +61 (7) 4781 4345

Welcome to the Forum, Gustaf!

If you take a look at Pearl Paradise?s site you can see how the valuation is done. A-D is used for Tahitian Pearls, A-AAA, Gem and Freshadama (for freshwater pearls is used by PP) and many other online vendors who are members of this forum.

NOTE: There is no official standard in grading as yet so you can see AAAA+ and many other different ones, but beware (these descriptions often come from Chinese suppliers, where there seems to be another understanding what round means (very round = off round or near round and so on). There are many posts in different threads on this forum.

I am assuming that you want full academic referencing: You will need to look at the various leading industry bodies/gemological associations such as CIBJO, the GIA, Perles de Tahiti etc
You should have already done a full literature search which will have given you the leading books/ authorities/ bodies/websites and authors in this field.
Any more than these leads and I will be doing the research for you
Wendy Graham
Open University, UK

I am assuming that you want full academic referencing: You will need to look at the various leading industry bodies/gemological associations such as CIBJO, the GIA, Perles de Tahiti etc

Thanks a lot, Wendy. You got what I mean. I got info from GIA (though they suggest me to enroll one of their classes by which of course, I can't at the moment) but not from other bodies yet. I got books from Ward, Matlins and Strack but they aren't quite there. Inge is right :), the information on pearl grading in this forum is more specific but anyone can suggest how to cite it?:confused:
Well, I think I want to encourage Jeremy to take the lead as the editor for a book or manual based on the discussion or information here. Remember, there are still lots of people that haven't been touched by internet for several reasons.

Gustaf

Back