A Mini Pearl of Allah?? Opinions, Value??

About how old is the piece: I just read that one of the indicators is the lock on the brooch. If it is C-like, it is more likely to be late Victorian or earlier. If it is a tube - it is rather Edwardian or anyway the turn of the centuries. A safe lock is the 20th century.

In your case the lock looks to me rather in the direction of a tube (or a thick C). Another indicator is the length of the pin on the brooch: a Victorian one would have a pin which is seen from under the brooch. Although of course it could have beem modified later because it was used with a watch.

I was exploring this subject while buying a beautiful garnet bracelet (with Bohemian pyrops), which was being sold by our local antique dealer on behalf of a 95 year old woman from the neigbourhood, who got is from her mother, and nobody knows how old is the piece in fact. It was easier to estimate the age of the brooch, which was part of the same set (but which I did not buy), and there it was rather clear: the C-lock was really a bigger and more open C-lock, an the pin was long.

Olga

Yes I think it is much nicer the POA too. That is really horrid. Still I wouldn't mind owning it if only to sell:D

The owner of the POA died in January. I am fairly sure they may try to sell it to meet his probate claims. I am going to add some stuff to that thread about it. (the thread is a sticky on the "other pearls" forum.

Back