6mm uniform pearl choker from early 1900s

nynatalie

My grandmother gave me a pearl choker that was given to her by a friend she was caring for while dying in the early 80's. This woman was born very close either before or after 1900. She came from a wealthy family and married a millionare around 1950. He invented a part for GM and was very wealthy. His wife had died previously and this woman had raise his children. When she died her niece gave my gramdma this pearl necklace and two beautiful evening clutches because she knew my grandma was special to her. She told my grandma these were real pearls. Im guessing they are from around the 1920's. I have researched as much as possible online and believe there is no chance that they are fake. I also think that there may be a possibility they are natural pearls. The strand is 15" in length, consisting of 41 round pearls. It has a marked 14kt filigree fish hook clasp with three small pearls on on side. The pearls are all somewhere between 6-7mm. As for the pearls they are cream colored with a hint of rose or peach maybe. They appear the same, but by looking close they are all slightly different shapes. They have some imperfections also. It is on a knotted string. Any input would be great as to if these could be natural pearls. Oh and also these were most likley purchased in New York if that helps. Thanks!

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to the forum! Any pictures you can post would be a great help in determining the pearl type and quality.

For pictures use:
Plain white piece of paper for background
Indirect, Mid-Day Sunlight is best
No Flash photography as it washes out the pearls
1 Image of Jewelry as a whole
A few close up shots of pearls, clasp and any maker's marks if available.

This sounds like an exceedingly interesting choker! I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we're excited to see your pictures! :)

Great pictures, thanks! They are definitely real pearls, and they are definitely Akoya pearls, and I'm leaning towards early cultured Akoya pearls as well... The pearls have a lovely patina, and are really, really well-matched throughout the length in terms of size, shape and general color (with the exception of the middle seed pearl on the clasp which looks like it may be a replacement pearl for one that might have fallen off).

You've got some barreling of the pearls which is also consistent throughout the length and again indicates that all pearls are original and feature the same general amount of wear, which would also explain the slight shape differences from pearl to pearl where they would regularly come into contact with the wearer's skin in different places.

Both the time period described, and the general consistency of the pearls would indicate early cultured Akoya pearls from Japan

It looks like you've got yourself a small treasure! Very nice! :)

You do need to clean and restring it. Try searching "vintage akoya necklace" or variation on ebay and see what they are are asking. Look at closing prices too.

Appraisal value are replacement values if you want to get it replaced. They are way, way over market value for selling.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Ant...oya+necklace&_catref=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

The buy it now prices are often inflated- the equivalent to appraised prices- and rarely sell at those prices.

Last edited:
Back