Please comment on my pearls

msmyng

My mom received this strand a few years ago. It was never worn and we never thought much of it because, well, we were not really into pearls before. Lately though, I've become more receptive to wearing pearls and am now curious if these were 'good' pearls or not.

The pearls are not strung on a knotted string, the clasp is quite kitschy (and not in a vintage retro way), the brand on the clasp is meaningless (to me) and the certificate it came with really tells me nothing as I know little about pearls. (However, the pearls are likely from Borneo though.)

Would really appreciate if anyone could comment on the strand.

Thank you for your time and expertise :)

IMG_20150428_140346_mh1430202628407.jpg
IMG_20150428_140410_mh1430202590292.jpg
IMG_20150428_140455_mh1430202531128.jpg
IMG_20150428_140733_mh1430202182761.jpg
IMG_20150428_140831_mh1430202119141.jpg
IMG_20150428_141144.jpg

----------------------------------------

Editing post with new pictures...
3-IMG_7646.jpg

4-IMG_7647.jpg

1-IMG_7642.jpg

2-IMG_7643.jpg

5-IMG_7648.jpg

6-IMG_7649.jpg

7-IMG_7652.jpg

8-IMG_7653.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no expert but while we're waiting for someone to come along who knows what they're talking about haha, to me they look like Chinese freshwater pearls because of the slightly "eggy" shape, unless that's just from the camera angle. Freshwaters tend to have that because they don't (usually) have a round shell nucleus in the middle to help them form in a perfectly spherical shape. And, as I've learned on here, it's common for Chinese freshwater pearls to be sold all over the world to tourists, passed off as a local, more expensive type of pearl.

A second clue is the inexpensive clasp and that it's not knotted, although I think sometimes the more valuable pearls are sold like that and it's considered temporary stringing.

Also, the certificate says "sea pearls" which to me sounds like it's too vague for a gemologist to say. I'd expect a serious report to state something more specific, like South Sea Pearls or Akoya pearls or the scientific name of the oyster species. And "cut" seems like a strange word on a pearl report. But like I said, I'm just a casual chatter so don't listen to me. :)

P.S. Whatever it is, it's very pretty.

Last edited:
I agree, they look like slightly off-round Chinese cultured freshwater pearls-- with very nice luster. And that's a great size!

The clasp is a safety clasp; maybe sterling silver? Check for a 925 stamp.

If it were me, I would restring them with knots in between to protect the pearls from loss in case the thread breaks (thread does get weaker with age, absorption of sweat and skin oils etc.) and to keep the pearls from rubbing against each other. Knots also add flexibility so the strand hangs nicely.

The addition of knots will make the strand a little longer. If the strand is 18" now, knots will make it a bit over 19" long. A little of that extra length would be lost if, when restringing, you use gimp (a coil of protective wire typically used with pearl strands) instead of the bead type end caps the strand has now attaching the thread to the clasp. The gimp makes the stringing job look a bit more professional.

If you wish to learn to do your own restringing, we have tutorials stickied on the Lowly Beaders Club.

No expert either, however, I too believe it is a nice strand of off-round CWFPs.

Clamp shells as endings as seen in this strand are not very secure, and I too would strongly recommend to have the strand re-strung with knots in between for added security.

DK :)

To me they look like off-round Akoya (saltwater). I notice a sharp luster profile, and when I looked very closely, small streaks that appear "marine" to me, if that makes sense. But that's just my opinion from the photos, I'd have to see them in person to really tell.

I agree that the oval shape would make one think Freshwater at first. And they could be.

Nice pearls overall!

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Thank you for telling us about these lovely pearls and sharing photos. The clasp tongue indicates 14/20, which is the abbreviation for 14/20k gold filled, which is karat gold fused to a base metal; many times thicker than plating. I quite like the clasp. Sometimes necklaces strung in the islands are comprised of nice quality pearls, but strung on thread or wire, without knotting between; I have even seen this with lovely Tahitians.

The size would be quite large for akoya pearls and I don't see evidence of the pinking so am inclined to feel they are small South Sea or freshwater, but something about the color and luster makes me lean toward SS.

Do you have any idea what was paid for these?

They would be more elegant restrung and knotted between each pearl, removing the clam shell ends. Of course, upgrading to a 14k or18k clasp is always an option.

Welcome to pearl-guide!

This is getting more and more interesting!

Pattye, do you think SSP would have been strung with a gold filled clasp?

It's a nice strand of Chinese freshwater pearls. The shape, the lower-luster pearl by the clasp and the sizing (classic material 9-10 mm is 8.5-9.5 mm) all points to Chinese freshwater.

The lack of stringing is odd, but not if the pearls were purchased in a tourist-type setting, which could be anywhere in South East Asia.

The appraisal is definitely wrong. I agree with Sea Urchin's full post.

Thank you all for your welcome and generous advice.

No, I have no idea its purchase price...the strand was a gift from my dad's business associate to my mom.

I will attempt to restring the pearls indeed...I do like the knotted look better. Will need to go source out supplies locally.

Attaching more photos here using a different camera (the previous batch was taken with my phone). In some of these photos, you could clearly see my hands (and fingers) holding the camera reflected on the pearls. How fascinating. I've also included some "neck shots" (yes, I'm a big fan of this forum and love browsing everyone's photos and neck shots) - these pearls sure look big, round and white on me...not sure I dare wear them out actually :)

If there're more comments on my pearls, please feel free to add on. It's fun and exciting reading opinions on MY own pearls for once!

1-IMG_7642.jpg
2-IMG_7643.jpg
5-IMG_7648.jpg
3-IMG_7646.jpg
4-IMG_7647.jpg
6-IMG_7649.jpg
7-IMG_7652.jpg
8-IMG_7653.jpg

Jeremy would know msmyng. I am sorry to see that you were duped on the appraisal.

take care

Last edited:
This is getting more and more interesting!

Pattye, do you think SSP would have been strung with a gold filled clasp?

Pearl Dreams, Yes, I think it is possible, much more likely if pearls are purchased in remote locations. I have seen very lovely Tahitians strung on heavy, stiff cabled wire, much heavier that 0.24, without knots of course, finished with a simple sterling or base metal clasp, a crimp, and a the end pearls drilled with a huge hole so the wire could be doubled back into the pearl. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any photos. (Private clients often bring me items purchased on cruises and such for restringing.)

I'll take Jeremy's word for it that these are cfw. They would have been quite unusual for pearls from a 2006 harvest to be so clean and round and well matched.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your enthusiastic comments and advice.

I made a reply and uploaded a second batch of photos (complete with neck shots!) but the post has been waiting for moderation for close to 10 hours. I'll attempt to edit my original post with new photos to see if it works...

I am not expert enough to know what they but they are certainly very beautiful and look wonderful on you too.
Thank you for sharing and enjoy!

msmyng, they are beautiful on you!

I think they look lovely on you and I would have them restrung with knotting! Wear them often!

Thanks for all the kind words. The pearls feel kinda heavy on my neck -- would take some getting used to haha. I think I'll wear them out for a test drive tomorrow. Restringing would take awhile yet - have to learn to do it properly first.

Back to my original query -- so, are these pearls considered "good quality" pearls in terms of their um pearly characteristics? What exactly am I looking out for when judging pearls? Size, I understand. Lustre - some of you mentioned that these pearls have good lustre. To me, they don't look particularly shiny/lustre-y...how exactly do I compare?

When you look at white pearls under a single light source against a white background, more lustrous pearls will have a darker circular reflection area in the center. Pearls with lower luster will have more vague reflections and dull pearls may be chalky white and have little reflection.

I can see your hands clearly in this photo! Now those are reflections!

attachment.php

Msmyng these pearls are really pretty -- I am no expert, but they look like good quality freshwaters to me.

In terms of what to look for, I believe you're looking at size, luster, roundness, surface (no blemishing), and good matching.

Enjoy your pearls!!

Back