West Africa wild Pearls

AFall

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I live in Senegal (West Africa), I found some pearls from fisher men. I am sure that they are wild, since the number of each species is 7-10 pieces. also I did not find any information on the internet about pearls from West Africa. I measured pearls with a caliper.

- it's interesting to know type of pearls
- if they are rare?
- what characteristics are also important for pearls?

Instagram: wow_shells_pearls

Attachments

• photo71395.jpg
    photo71395.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 57
  • photo71396.jpg
    photo71396.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 49
Hello AFall
Interesting story. The first photo you provide (with size for each pearl) really looks like natural pearls to me, but the second reminds me more of keshi or freshwater pearls, but they could also be natural of course.

To my knowledge, there are no pearl oysters living in that area of Africa. I could be wrong.
But these could also be "Pen Shell Pearls" from mollusks from genus Pinna, and these could very well be found in your waters.

1. It is always interesting to learn and know more about pearls. Always!
2. If these are "pen shell pearls" they are not very rare, but due to their unique location they could have a higher value (for a collector)
3. Important pearl characteristics? Beauty, size, shape, lustre, color. Bigger, rounder and beautiful pearls are always in demand!

Did the fisherman show you the type of shell he got them from? That would be very important and extra interesting!

Dear Mr. Moreno

Thank yo for your answer.

1. Regarding the second photo: In Senegal we have some freshwater areas such as mangroves. Maybe pearls are coming from these zone. I will clarify these hypotheses.
2. I'm attaching photo of shell, from they took pearls.
3. Can you help me please identify these pearls?
4. Where I can sell these pearls?

Best Regards
Anastasiia Fall

Attachments

• IMG_1385_compressed.pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 62
Hello Afall (Anastasia),

1. Mangroves are both saline and freshwater...after rains they become less saline (brackish) and during drought they may even become hyper-saline (saltier than the ocean). It depends on the environment.
2. I could not open the document. Please attach as a photo.
3. Need more information to identify these...including photos.
4. Selling? Hard to say.

Dear Mr. Douglas

I’m attaching photo of shell.

Attachments

• photo71401.jpg
    photo71401.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 43
Interesting...that looks like an Akoya pearl oyster.
Quite interesting because I've never seen a report of pearl oysters in those waters. If that is not a shell purchased at a "Pearl Party" and it is from an actual pearl oyster fished in Senegalese waters it would be a thing of importance to the world of biodiversity: either because it means the distribution of pearl oysters could be "moving" due to climate change OR because someone has illegally introduced a foreign species that could cause ecological problems.

Hello, dear Douglas

thank you for your answer.
I attached photo of shell, is it an akoya shell? These photo is from restaurant with see food.

Attachments

• 880091F6-D520-4692-8537-B9F449F06D31.jpeg
    880091F6-D520-4692-8537-B9F449F06D31.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 35
They look strikingly like Akoya oysters...even down to the nacre colors.
If they were fished from your waters it means that they are now there too. A lot of researchers will probably be interested in this!

Dear Mr. Douglas,

Thank you for your answer.
How and where can I make an estimate of the value of pearls?

Best Regards
Anastasiia Fall

You need someone to Appraise them for you. They would first check to see if they are truly natural saltwater pearls of course, then they would probably give you a value of natural Akoya pearls unless you could provide proof that they are from a local variety/species (the price could go up a bit)...but I don't see a great pearl there.
If you had a 10 mm perfect teardrop it would be worth your while to travel to have it appraised. But these are very small and quite baroque shaped...their price is not really that good.

Back