In search of info on pearl necklace plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of info on pearl necklace plz

Picked this up at small town 2nd hand store a week ago, clasp says 14KG, I've gently cleaned them, they were very grubby, and yellowed, passed the tooth test, heavy and colder than any faux pearls l have, but not sure what kind, or quality. They were hanging up with a big display of vintage jewelry of all sorts, but I'm always straight to the Pearl's, lol! Seems some damage to one by clasp, and possibly some glue residue on several others as well. Will try to upload photos now, tia for any information! Click image for larger version

Name:	16127326117752765551362239156312.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	418134

Good morning Faith, and welcome to our Pearl Loving Forum!
    With just that photo I believe you have an Akoya Pearl Necklace.
    What sizes are the pearls? If you measure the central pearl (usually the biggest one at the central part of the necklace) we can have good information.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
    Follow Me!
    Instagram
    YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
    Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

I'll try to measure them, but all I have is a standard metal tape measure, but I'm posting more pictures of them nowClick image for larger version

Name:	20210207_125721.jpg
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	396164

Comment

I'm totally unsure of what I've actually posted, but after my attempts to measure, and using online tips, I think they are about9.5 to 10 MMS, they are pretty uniform in size, the picture made them look graduated, but they're not, and there are 36 on the strand. Clasp is wrapped in a fine wire of some sort, will be providing more pic when I see what you've recieved, thanks so much for the time and knowledge that you are sharing, it's so appreciated!

Comment

Welcome Faith. Pearls certainly do draw our attention. I see a spot on one pearl where the outer layer seems to have peeled away. Do you see this on others as well?

Comment

Only one that is peeling is the one near the clasp, which I am partly responsible for, having too much enthusiasm trying to remove glue residue from where the knots were glued, but otherwise they are ok, a few pits in the nacre, but most are not breaking the surface of the pearl, if that makes any sense? I keep trying to post multiple pics, but I am only getting one at a time, then waiting for admin to ok post first, so it feels like I'm slow to respond, I'll be posting more as I am allowed to, any input greatly appreciated!

Comment

Hi Faith, look at the third pearl from the center (on the R side in the photo). It appears to be peeling by the drill hole. This might be artifact on the photo, or it could be a clue.

Comment

Here's a picture of the pearl, the drill hole looks ok, think it was some foreign material, but there is a patch on the surface that is lighter than the rest, and on the one next to it, to a lesser degree. There's a few Pearl's with glue residue on the drill hole, but I'm not going to try to remove it, afraid of damaging it. Am putting a dime in pic for scale, as I have been having a hard time measuring them, my arthritis has my hands pretty stiff and uncooperative Click image for larger version

Name:	1612999640047614301227938395011.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	396230

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210207_125951.jpg
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	396231 just another picture of the whole thing🙂

Comment

Name:	20210210_153347.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	396232same necklace. Different side

Comment

Name:	20210210_153441.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	396233, hoping the lightning is better on this one!

Comment

Name:	16130007146442264953238022247420.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	396234last one for now! Thank you all!

Comment

Name:	16130009829778855716513663090746.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	396235, changed my mind, still trying for better lighting!

Comment

Name:	16130014933317321807067828502945.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	396236 think I may just try later, lol!

Comment

Good photos Faith!
                              I'm still thinking these are Akoya cultured pearls, I believe I can actually see some "blinking" on some pearls. It will need to be restrung, for sure.
                              That "surface defect" looks odd to me...could be some glue residue, but if not...it gives me a "fake pearl" look, but still hard to tell without handling the necklace.
                              Hoping some of my fellow forum members will be able to share their thoughts here.
                              Douglas McLaurin-Moreno
                              Follow Me!
                              Instagram
                              YouTube

Your Life evolves in the same way a Pearl grows: with continuous layers of experiences/nacre that add to the Story of your Life on Earth and make you Unique and Beautiful.
                              Douglas McLaurin-Moreno

Comment

Working...
                              X