What are these pearls in this 60s/70s Modernist ring?

Brocanteur

Hello, its my first time posting after lurking for many months. I wonder if anyone can indulge me and tell me what I might have here, with a new ring purchase.
It is a 14ct yellow gold ring with diamonds set into WG hearts, and set with 7 pearls. It is ca. 1960s/70s.
The ring is stamped SENA (H. Sena of Singapore; a reputable high end jeweller since 1919).
I don't know much about pearls at all, but loved the overall design, and colour/lustre.
Id be delighted if anyone might cast some light.
Thank you! 20200220_133558.jpg20200220_133335.jpg

I'm guessing they are all akoya pearls, and that the dark ones are dyed. Dyeing akoya pearls black was popular at one time, but has fallen out of fashion. It does make a striking look, though. The ring is very MOD!

P.S. Dyeing white akoya pearls black goes back a few hundred years, and was also popular in the 1920s.

I'm guessing they are all akoya pearls, and that the dark ones are dyed. Dyeing akoya pearls black was popular at one time, but has fallen out of fashion. It does make a striking look, though. The ring is very MOD!

P.S. Dyeing white akoya pearls black goes back a few hundred years, and was also popular in the 1920s.

Thanks so much BWeaves. Ive reached out to H. SENA and theyve confirmed the ring is 50+ years old, and are looking at their archival information for the specific design and materials used. You may be correct.

H Sena have typically used South Sea and Tahitian pearls, as evidenced on their website, so who knows. :confused: This is an older piece, so its not entirely unlikely that Akoya were used then.

Wow, that website is to die for.

The size and shape of the pearls in your ring is what makes me think they are akoyas. Plus, the ring reminds me of one I have from my mother, which is about 30 years old (1990s). Mom's is a bit more floral in design, so not as Mod as your 1960's early 70s design. But the grouping of several akoya pearls with gold to make a large statement ring, is similar. Please let us know what H. SENA says. It's a fascinating piece.

Wow, that website is to die for.

The size and shape of the pearls in your ring is what makes me think they are akoyas. Plus, the ring reminds me of one I have from my mother, which is about 30 years old (1990s). Mom's is a bit more floral in design, so not as Mod as your 1960's early 70s design. But the grouping of several akoya pearls with gold to make a large statement ring, is similar. Please let us know what H. SENA says. It's a fascinating piece.

The pearls are about 8mm diameter.
Click here to see another vintage Sena preloved south sea pearl ring.

What a great ring! Yes, I agree with the others, Akoya pearls, with the dark ones being dyed. How great that the company is willing to help you with your research!

Yes, Im delighted to see they have retained their archival information and are willing to assist.
I received this response overnight. Lets see whats next!
20200225_073602.jpg

Back