Hoping to confirm the the type of Mikimoto pearls I have

georgiedm74

I have a string of Mikimoto pearls bought by my fathers parents for my mother as a wedding gift in the early 70's.

My mother gave them to me to pass on to my oldest daughter when she turns 18. Then yesterday she called and said she thinks I should sell them and use the money towards her school fee's / extra curricular activities. They have been sitting in the box since she gave them to us several years ago. My daughter doesn't like jewellery, so I think it might be best to sell them, as what is the point in keeping them if they just sit in the box.

BUT I know very little about pearls and don't know how to price them (probably on Ebay). I have done quite a bit of reading and will list the info I have here, in case anyone can shed some light on what I have here.

The strand is 48cm / 18.89 inches, it contains 85 x 6mm pearls. The clasp has a pear on one side and the M in a shell on the other side and the letters sil.

They do feel rough when rubbed together. They are in the original box from Wendts in Adelaide, South Australia. Purchased in the early 70's.

If I decide to sell them, should I invest in a formal appraisal and certificate first?

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• 4DA67BEF-7EB6-4F62-B9C7-7E864E6B2ECB.jpg
    4DA67BEF-7EB6-4F62-B9C7-7E864E6B2ECB.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 1095D31E-7089-47E4-A7C7-1CA2E05DCA50.jpg
    1095D31E-7089-47E4-A7C7-1CA2E05DCA50.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 18143763-685F-4965-880A-2007AB67F563.jpg
    18143763-685F-4965-880A-2007AB67F563.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 35
  • CE57BDA8-ADFF-4ABD-BF7B-94DAEE396E43.jpg
    CE57BDA8-ADFF-4ABD-BF7B-94DAEE396E43.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 31
  • FD0A4F28-DB67-42BD-A0EA-4EC692DB6126.jpg
    FD0A4F28-DB67-42BD-A0EA-4EC692DB6126.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 43
No on the appraisal. People will look at the clasp and the quality of the pearls and bid. You have a box which is worth money as well. Go on ebay and look to see how much similar miki necklaces are selling for, and expect to make a bit less for yours bc you are a new seller with no feedback. If you are not in the states, then look at how much shipping is as well. If going the ebay route, fix the color temperature on your photos and crop to get closeups. Also think about buying and selling a few smaller items to get some feedback since many people don't bid on sellers of expensive items with zero feedback. How were the pearls displayed in the box when they were purchased? Maybe display them the same way.

If it were me, I would treasure them. Handing down nice jewelry not only makes it sentimental, but carries along a truckload of emotions that can't be described to me. What if your daughter needed pearls for her wedding day, or a graduation, or a formal occasion? How wonderful would it be to be able to wear her grandmother's pearls? My 22 year old isn't interested in pearls, but she did ask me a few times to borrow a strand for her college graduation, and a formal dance. I gave her a strand of small akoyas which were from my grandmother, so her great grandmother. I don't know how old your daughter is but she may end up loving pearls. It never hurts to have a classic strand around, for you or your daughter.

I agree. Hang onto them. They are not only good pearls, but have sentimental value. You won't sell them for enough to make up for the regret you or your daughter will have later. Don't give them to your daughter when she turns 18. Wear them yourself. Pearls need to be worn, or they yellow if they just sit in a box unworn. When your daughter graduates from college or wants to get married, she may want them then.

I agree. I would hold onto them too. My daughter was not interested in pearls at 18, but she is now. I hope you will enjoy them in the meantime. :)

My best advice is to keep them and wear them yourself. Your daughter may or may not want them in the future but you could be enjoying them now. It's easy to do one's own restringing-- see the tutorials stickied on the Lowly Beaders Club.
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?19-The-Lowly-Beaders-Club

That said, if they do not appeal to you either, then selling them is a viable option, as long as you understand you will not make a great deal of money on them. Still, some money is better than none if one truly has no interest in wearing a piece. Many years ago I sold some jewelry I had inherited from a great aunt and used the funds to buy a few camera lenses that were very useful to me. No regrets. Things are good for what they are good for.

Back