clasps -- I mean pearls -- from ebay

linda.wald

I got these on ebay, basically for the clasp. I would like to find out what the pearls are. The pearls came in the box pictured, but since I bought them from a seller that does estate sales, I have no idea if the pearls originally came in that box. At some point the thread broke where the pearls attached to the clasp, and someone clumsily retied it. Thank you!
ebay_clasp1.jpg
ebay_clasp2.jpg
ebay_clasp3.jpg
ebay_clasp4.jpg

They look like akoya pearls to me, but you could try the so-called "tooth test". Either gently rub one pearl against the edge of your front tooth or rub 2 of the pearls together gently. If it's real nacre there should be a little bit of resistence; very slight grittiness. Fake pearls glide against each other more easily. Or, use a loupe to see the surface; fake pearls look rougher than real pearls at 10x magnification.

I forgot to mention, they pass the tooth test, and the clasp is stamped 14k. Thanks!

Beautiful clasp! I would be so tempted to mix up the order on these, and maybe place some gemstones in between...I love the retro vibe on the piece, but I would love to see blue sapphire elements through out. My eye sees polka dots of blue and white.

I think they are tiny sapphires on the clasp, and a tiny diamond in the middle. Putting some rondelles in sounds like a fun idea. What do you mean about mixing up the order? Making them no longer graduated? It sounds interesting... Thanks!

Yes, depending on how the pearls are graduated...maybe add a few larger and smaller pearls to make the look work. But if you want to keep the more traditional graduated design, I do think adding some spacers with blue sapphires would be lovely! I really like the clasp, though and with a traditional graduated strand it tends to get hidden in the back. It's really a cool piece!

I really love the vintage sapphire clasp. Pearls and sapphires are lovely together.

I'm a sucker for beautiful vintage clasps, and yours is one for sure! It's definitely an akoya strand. How big are the pearls? Have you taken any neck shots yet (hint, hint)?

The pearls range from about 3-4 mm to about 8mm. I don't have a caliper so I am just eyeballing with a ruler. The length of the shorter strand is about 19". They came with a pair of screw back Krementz earrings, but one of the pearls has come off. It has been sliced to provide a flat base and I can clearly see the bead, so I think they are also akoya. I don't think the earrings are gold -- at least they are only marked Kermentz. Here are shots of the earrings; neck shots later.
screw_earrings.jpeg
pearl_screw_earring_closeup.jpg

Nice find with this piece! I also like the idea of mixing up the pearls! That clasp is too pretty to hind on the back of your neck!

Sometimes on old pearls the clasp is the best part but the pearl look nice.
Earring pearl is not quite in focus but looks like a pretty thick nacre /bead dividing line. Maybe too thick 1/3 of bead size from what one would expect so need a clearer photo.

The earring is an easy fix if you wish to repair it.

Back