• Time
  • Show
Clear All

GemGeek, those rings are beautiful!
    http://www.oceanscovejewelry.com
    Instagram: Ocean's Cove

Comment

[QUOTE=Kiev;160745]Hello again,

Thank you to all who have taken the time to comment; I am grateful for all opinions and information!

I am open-minded and learning…so, please correct me if I am wrong, but what I understand from our dialogue is that:

(1) All conventional methods for identifying pearls are fundamentally useless because at lest some varieties of cultured pearls will pass all such tests.
      Cultured pearls are real pearls. They are grown in the "oyster", but with human intervention. That was actually settled in a French court in the 1920's.
      Cultured pearls are NOT 'natural' pearls.
      All real pearls, natural and cultured will pass the tooth test.
      Fake pearls are manufactured from scratch and never see a mollusk. They do not pass the tooth test.

(2) Because of their extreme value, genuine uncultured pearls would never be set in sterling silver, regardless of historical movements in fashion and design.
      Wild, natural pearls have been set in sterling, there is no rule. Even top of the line Mikimoto (cultured) pearls often had/have sterling clasps. As for couture fashion pearls today, sterling is the norm, not gold.

(3) Gray and white pearls are not colors found in natural pearls — or, if so, incredibly rare.
      Not at all. Natural pearls come in about every color except lipstick reds. Few are true white, but many were shades of white. Gray is more common in the Pinctada Margaritifera (Tahitian) and the Pteria sterna (Cortez pearls)
      All natural pearls are incredibly rare now.

As ever, many thanks!
      Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

Most mabes are cultured from pteria penguin are typically shades of silver.

Comment

Working...
        X