Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl farm on Apataki

Hi everyone,

I am planning to travel to Tahiti in a few months time to stay on a pearl farm on Apataki for a week. I'll be going to observe, take photos, see how it's all done.

I'm just wondering whether any of you know anything about the farms at Apataki, or have been there and could tell me a bit about them.

Thanks.
    Julianne

Apataki

While I've never been to the Tahitian pearl farm in Apataki, which is part of the Tuamotu islands, there are a lot of interesting articles on the web about the island in general. As with most of the French Polynesian atolls, it is spectacular and beautiful. Here is a picture of the village on Apataki:

Apataki Village

Here is a link to the official Tahiti tourism site, which includes her neighboring islands. http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/

Lastly, just for fun, here is a picture of Apataki taken by satellite:
    Apataki from Space

Comment

I have never been there. I am sure you wil have a great time, though. It is a small island which focuses on perliculture. There are fewer than 400 people on the island and that is more than double the population before farming came.
      I believe Apataki is a part of the E.I.G., Poe Rava Nui group. I am sure you will know for sure when you come back!
      Jeremy Shepherd
      President and Founder
      PearlParadise.com, Inc.
      The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
      PearlParadise.com on Flickr
      PearlParadise.com on Facebook
      Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

Been to Manihi and Takapotu and the diving was great. Pretty much narrow sandbars with big lagoons.

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. And for that picture of the village - I hadn't seen that before. Always nice to know where you're going ...

Comment

When you get back, I'm sure many of the forum viewers would love to hear about your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by purepearls
              When you get back, I'm sure many of the forum viewers would love to hear about your experience.
              Thanks for the suggestion, Amanda. I'm hoping to take lots of photos and produce some sort of informative slideshow. I'll have a think how that may be presented for viewers here.

Regards,
              Julianne

Comment

Sounds Great

Julianne's trip sounds great. Does anyone (perhaps Julianne) have any thoughts on how one could arrange such a trip. Is it necessary to have a personal invitation?...or are there ways to arrange such an opporunity without having the contact?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Battles
                  Julianne's trip sounds great. Does anyone (perhaps Julianne) have any thoughts on how one could arrange such a trip. Is it necessary to have a personal invitation?...or are there ways to arrange such an opporunity without having the contact?

Dave
                  Dave,
                  It's been one of those funny series of coincidences, where puzzle pieces just seem to fall into place.
                  I made some email enquiries, which were sent on to other people, who then contacted me, so in way, yes, it is by personal invitation. I have now travelled to another city to meet the people who contacted me via email and formed business relationships with them. I will be meeting someone else who contacted me via this forum, when I get to Tahiti. And maybe someone else from the forum when he comes to Australia. What a great network!
                  I guess my advice is to decide what you REALLY want, start making enquiries and if you're ready for them, the opportunities will present themselves to you. This would not have happened to me even 18 months ago, because I was not ready to receive it. Sound weird? Maybe, but it's how I see it.
                  I'm off to Tahiti at the beginning of June, so stay tuned for the next chapter!
                  Last edited by julianner; 04-05-2006, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Julianne,

Thanks for the insight as to how these opportunities arise. I agree with you and you don't sound "weird" to me. The timing for me to take a Tahitian pearl farm trip is not quite right...things are too hectic just now...perhaps sometime next year. Anyway, I'm glad you had the opportunity and I'm sure is was terrific and your upcoming trip in June sounds great as well. All the best to you on your travels.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. Only six weeks to go! The trip is booked!

Comment

tahitian student in Australia

Hi, Julianne

Actually studying in Townsville, i come from Tahiti. Its really good that you have this opportunity, Apataki is a great island (tiny one but beautiful). My parents have a pearl farm in Manihi, another island close to Apataki, therefore I would like to have your opinions on your trip when you will be coming back.
                        Enjoy,
                        nanihh

Comment

Originally posted by nanihh
                          Hi, Julianne

Actually studying in Townsville, i come from Tahiti. Its really good that you have this opportunity, Apataki is a great island (tiny one but beautiful). My parents have a pearl farm in Manihi, another island close to Apataki, therefore I would like to have your opinions on your trip when you will be coming back.
                          Enjoy,
                          nanihh
                          Maururu Nanihh!

I will certainly post to this forum when I get back.

Regards,
                          Julianne

Comment

Hi Julianne,

I just spotted this thread.
                            Here's a photo and a map:

Niutahi village and airstrip.

This is a PDF map of the atoll:
                            http://www.effisk.net/misc/Apataki.pdf
                            P?cheur de Perles - London Theatre Tickets

Comment

Thanks Effisk, sorry for delay in replying, am having a few comms challenges at this end!

Woweee! So there's the airstrip I'll be scooting along and the village. There's not much land, is there!

Comment

Working...
                              X