help please, real South Sea pearl or fake?

Pal-b

I recently bought a set of pearl earrings from Greenhills in Manila. After trying to do my research using this site before hand I eventually found a seller who was willing to admit and point out the died and freshwater pearls from the apparent South Sea ones. There was also a notable price difference he was charging relative to everyone else in the market.
He initially wanted Peso's 15000-18000 for a set of 2 (so $382), which I negotiated down to Peso's 10,000 ($200). He drilled the holes in front of me and also showed me the freshwater ones he also had in his store.
Despite this I am still worried I may have been ripped off and so I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone on this site has.

I have attached a picture of the loose pearl, it is not 100% spherical as it seem stop have a slight ridge around the middle

IMG_2534.jpgIMG_2535.jpgIMG_2533.jpgIMG_2531.jpg

How big are the pearls in millimeters?

South Sea pearls usually have a satiny luster vs. freshwater pearls which can be everything from metallic to satin. But I have seen Pearl Paradise post photos on their blog of rare soap bubbly looking SS pearls.

I cannot comment on the pearl's authenticity, but can make a couple of general comments. For better photos, take a shot or two on white paper towels or napkins. That will help with the color and surface. Also include a photo of the drill hole on the loose pearl. I think it is a pretty pearl, and seems to have a wonderful blue-green overtone. What do you plan to do with it?

I can't really comment on your pearls as the photos you posted are unclear and I'm not an expert on pearls anyway.
But I know that real South Sea pearls are sold in Greenhills. A while ago I've visited the market with Cyndayco and learned that all sorts of pearls (in different qualities) are sold. That's what makes Greenhills so special! You find FW and SS side by side. To me, the most interesting are the goldens: dyed golden FW that look like golden SS are sold but also dyed golden SS and undyed golden SS. Sure, some seller try to sell you freshwater pearls as SS, especially if you're a foreigner. But I found that you simply have to ask and after a while, they'll tell you the truth. That's exactly what you did! So I think you probably have the right thing.

Just add some better pictures so the experts are able to comment...

The camera is focusing on the wood grain and not on the pearl. You might have better luck using a white paper towel. Being able to see a sharp view of the pearl's surface might make a big difference. :)

Hi guys, thanks for your response's I will take some better pictures and repost

Back