price guide

gssp newbie

Community member
Screenshot_2014-03-13-19-47-31-1.jpg

chanced by this while surfing the net.. i wonder if a similar one exists for white and/gold pearls.. while the owner of the site said some discount would have to be applied (if one would buy from his site from the quoted price), this is a really good reference point for beginners like me.. of course i have no idea how updated/outdated this could be.. again, i understand that some colors may be more prized too..

or please let me know if a similar thread exists.

Ha! It's nothing like as easy as a nifty chart.
variables.....supply, demand, quality, time of year, wholesale, retail,

To me the only way you can structure pricing like that is if your supplier is purchasing very large lots and spreading the value out over hundreds of pearls rather than purchasing them individually- a great way to make strands. This allows him to absorb any losses on lesser quality pearls while still being able to maintain a decent margin on the prettier ones. "Gem" or very fine quality pearls will always be set aside and not included on the list- those we all have to buy individually, at premium.

You could create this list for any pearl type, including SSP as long as you're purchasing large mixed lots. Just be careful and know what you're looking at, otherwise you could end up losing your shirt!

thanks everyone! that was very insightful. i am still learning about pearls and i believe i had to again google some terms.. haha.. much much more complicated than diamonds!

ssp strand is perhaps for next year (or the year after! lol)... i should also stop eyeing loose ssps and focus having the ones bought earlier set first.:)

I'm curious about pricing too, but I couldn't read that list!! ...I must be getting older than I realize:)

Back