GSS Strand

Thanks for the rec, JerseyPearl! Like PD, I didn't know about them when I placed my last Rio order, but I guess I'll just have to place another one ;)

Here's the new strand. I love it! It's lively and lustrous and looks so different in different light. I opened the box in the car and it looked like liquid gold. :)

new gss.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, ladies.

@PD- I'm going to wire wrap it, as soon as I figure out how.

Last edited:
Back at last! Thanks, ladies.

After consulting the wonderfully helpful comments above, I bought stuff and husband and I practiced wire-wrapping for four nights with the inexpensive stuff, as advised. Then husband made the necklace for me (with 14k wire) because he is better at it than I am.

Now we're waiting for a couple of little gold split rings. I'm afraid otherwise there might be too much tension on the gold wire loops and they might break.

Anyway, ta-dah! It's about 17 inches long with a 4 inch extender. I'll post photos with it on in a little while.

ETA: I also have nine pearls left over, the smallest ones from the back. Hmmm... :)

GSS1.jpg

GSS2.jpg

Last edited:
Such tidy wrapping! :) Very nice necklace.

Did you mean split rings or (open) jump rings? I'd prefer jump rings in a medium weight. As for split rings, I never had any success with using the base metal ones-- they were so stiff, hard to use, and the overlapping ends of the ring always scratched my neck and itched. Maybe 14K gold ones are easier to use, but I'd want to use a split-ring pliers to avoid stressing and risking breaking your wire loops.

Thank you, PD! Oh, I guess I did mean open jump rings. I thought a split ring was an open jump ring. :p

Here it is at the 17 inch length, then with the extender at 21 inch length. I wish I had a better camera.

GSS3.JPG

GSS4.JPG

Oops, just checked my Rio Grande invoice and I did buy split rings, 3.5mm, yellow gold. Thanks for the heads up, PD.

I love that you both were involved. It looks great! :)
I tried to use split rings (like the ring on a key chain) and they were too small. I gave up and set them aside. If I had three hands, it would have been easier. You have a partner to help you with the third hand!

Back