Pearl Paradise The Internet's Largest Collection of Fine Pearls - Shop Now! 80% Off Retail. Free Returns. Free Shipping. A+ Rating on BBB.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSP or not? What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess at this point I'm curious if my parents got taken advantage of, or if they just got a decent deal on some freshwaters.

Comment

SSP are much costlier than FWP. If they paid a fair price for FWP, then likely that is what they got. Vendors cannot make money by underpricing valuable pearls.

Comment

Great photos. The price would be much higher if they were SSPs.

Comment

Pearl Dreams and GemGeek, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate your willingness to share your valuable knowledge of pearls with me. You guys are great!

Comment

Why was there such a big difference in price between the pearls? I really couldn't tell much of a difference in quality from your photos, can you see a difference in quality between the graduated strand and the other two strands?

Comment

I always feel bad whenever I read threads like this. I wince inwardly as I live in the Philippines and in no way trust most pearl vendors in Greenhills. Sad to say, a lot are willing to take advantage of foreigners who especially are not very familiar with pearls.

Comment

You have two kinds of pearls in your photos. I see two strands of freshwater pearls and one strand of commercial grade South Sea pearls. If you were told they are all South Sea, that isn't true. But one strand does appear to be.
                Jeremy Shepherd
                President and Founder
                PearlParadise.com, Inc.
                The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
                PearlParadise.com on Flickr
                PearlParadise.com on Facebook
                Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

The last photos were helpful..I was thinking the silvery strand looks more like WSS and I suppose at a retail price of 850 it's not the end of the world. They didn't get a bargain.. but they didn't get terribly overcharged The other strands...again Freshwater and the price ... I suppose you'd pay that much in a store.. or dress shop.. So it's not a terrible result - did they overpay..yes a bit...but again..not too bad.
                  https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

It does look like one of your strands is SSP. The fish bites and nacre is similar to what I've seen at Greenhills for SSP. I buy at Greenhills quite often. Only with 2-3 trusted vendors. I've also brought a few to a gemologist to verify if I plan to use a new vendor. IMHO depending on the harvest and what they get at auction, the SSP strand that you have would currently retail in that range ($700-$800) for that size and quality. For example, 10-11mm whites very good quality currently asking price is $3-4K and I bid down. Also I just did a big order within last two weeks. 9-10mm good quality FW asking price approx $80-100. So 8-9mm good quality (almost all round, no lines/striads/high luster) asking approx $60. All prices I negotiate down. I would say two at $185 they did ok but there was room to go lower.
                    Last edited by mvpearl; 04-06-2017, 01:33 PM. Reason: adding on

Comment

Wish I knew but they are very pretty!

Comment

Working...
                      X