Real pearls or too good to be true?

laurpr2

Hi, oo I know literally nothing about pearls (other than they're classy and remind me of Audrey Hepburn). I found a necklace of supposedly genuine pearls on ebay (from China) for less than $10 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-8MM...952516?pt=Fashion_Jewelry&hash=item484f972bc4). I thought real pearl necklaces were well over $100. Is this deal too good to be true or are these real pearls for a good price? Obviously I don't expect these to be perfect, but I would like a pearl necklace to wear to work and have a teeny tiny budget, so it's this or faux. If you could give me your thoughts and advice, I would very much appreciate it!

My guess is that if the seller has a wonderful feedback rating, you will get genuine pearls in all likelihood, but they will not be of good quality for that price. Make sure they don't have a high sihpping fee to make up for the cheap prices. Given your budget, this is a way to start, but some faux pearls may actually be prettier than the poor quality cultured ones. Make sure also that their auction says you are getting the exact necklace in the photo,most of these listings you may not get what you see. As you will be paying with paypal, you do have some protection there as well I guess. Ah the old proverb, if it seems too good to be true, well it probably is. But it will be a start, and save up later for a good quality strand. Good Luck

Daddys Little Pearl

The pearls in the photos in the link are real, and if one gets the necklace as shown in the photos for under 12 USD, then I would consider it a bargain.

However, whether one would receive the same necklace as in the photos is a risk one has to take.

DK :)

You won't get the one in the photo-- did you notice it's a fixed price listing (9 available, 1 sold)-- that means the photo is merely supposed to be representative of what you will get.

But it may not be even that, and although you have PayPal protection, do you really want to have to ship it back to China by a means that provides PayPal with online-viewable delivery confirmation? That would be Global Express if you are in the USA, which would be pricey.

Look for a listing where it says that you will receive the exact item in the photo.

Also-- yes, they are probably real freshwater pearls.

Last edited:
I'd say, for the price, have a punt and see what you will get. While the comments about bewary are valid, when the pearls are only a few $ and shipping is free,if the buyer is happy to take the gamble, why not?
It's clear from the listing that the pearls are going to be off round, with so-so lustre and the surface will have flaws...but as a way to find out if you want to wear pearls, and then maybe upgrade to something better in due time, then I say go ahead
And if you do please report back

Thanks everybody! I know freshwater pearls aren't nearly as nice as Akoya pearls, but would they be considered fancy enough to wear in a business setting? I feel like most costume jewelry is tacky and just looks cheap - do freshwater pearls have the same negative connotations?

Some freshwaters are prettier than some akoyas...it all depends on quality. There are poor quality and good quality freshwaters and the same goes for akoyas.
For that matter, the same goes for imitation pearls! Majorica imitation pearls look better than junky akoyas. And you can find them on eBay.

You could certainly wear nice freshwaters in a business setting. Whether that is what you will get from that seller is another story....

Freshwater pearls are generally more affordable, but I would never say they have negative connotations. Dollar for dollar, especially with a modest budget, you can purchase lovely freshwater pearls. Many of us prefer cultured freshwater pearls, especially the off round, oval and baroque shapes. Right now there are lots of interesting freshwater pearls with unique colors and shapes coming out of China that haven't been seen before.

Good luck with your purchase. Let the company know you expect a necklace that looks as good as the one in the photo.

Another thing: Did you know that both Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand pearl necklace (which eventually was sold at auction for $200,000) and Barbara Bush's 4 strand choker were imitation pearls?

Mind you, we do love real pearls here on P-G-- and freshwaters are a great deal! But if you find some nice looking fakes at an affordable price (check out thrift stores), they can be a perfectly acceptable fashion choice while you save up for a real pearl strand.

I can't think of any reason why a simple straightforward strand of white freshwater pearls would not be considered perfectly acceptible in a a business setting. Freshwater pearls are usually good as akoya and most people could not even tell the difference if you were comparing top Akoya to top freshwater anyway. While the lustre can be...harder...on a top top Akoya most of the preferring comes, I suspect, from a sort of snobbery of brand.
Just as I've heard many a times from some snooty customer 'oh freshwater pearls...I have real cultured ones at home' (to explain cultured pearls are any pearls which have been farmed, so that includes most pearls available to buy these days. (cultured is jweller-speak for farmed, it sounds much nicer)

Thank you all so much for your thoughts!
I decided to purchase it (worst case scenario I lose a few bucks), I'll let you know what I think once it arrives ;)

True, Wendy-- the listing says they are A grade and defines that as:

Grade / Shape / Surface/ Luster / Nacre / Matching

A
Close to round, oval, rounded oblong shape
Moderately blemished - noticeable irregularities
Fair - Reflections are hazy and blured
Medium
Good

It is not a lot to lose if you don't like them for work, and you can always wear them to "knock around" in.

They could well be a bargain start to a lifetime's pearl wearing. On the other hand, if the OP finds she doesn't like pearls it is a relatively inexpensive lesson to learn. I've still got my first strand of pearls..has everyone else?

They could well be a bargain start to a lifetime's pearl wearing. On the other hand, if the OP finds she doesn't like pearls it is a relatively inexpensive lesson to learn. I've still got my first strand of pearls..has everyone else?

Yes, $75 worth of potato shaped dyed FW pearls I'm still embaressed to admit I believed were Tahitian pearls :D Still tucked away at the back of a drawer...

- Karin

Back