Old wives tale true?

barbaradilek

I read recently that in Victorian times some ladies maids were in great demand to wear their mistresses pearls before “ the season” because their skin bought a glow to the natural pearls that had been stored in the winter.Has anyone else come across this custom?would some skin types actually” enhance” the pearls nacre?

I have a strand of pale kasumi pearls that seem to grow dull in storage, but after an hour on my skin, look shiny, pink, and luminous. I have GSS, SS, akoya, and FWP, but only these pearls behave that way.

A jeweler said that this has been observed with pearls and opals.

Barbara, I'm sorry your post was missed for so long. It's generally accepted that natural skin oils are beneficial for all types of pearls, including natural pearls. The custom you mention is new to me. I would be curious about your source of information.

Cyndayco, just curious, are you talking Chinese kasumi-like pearls? Or the true Kasumiga from Japan, both which are freshwater. What you notice may be a factor of how the light penetrates and reflects. I have noticed some pearls need to "wake up" after being enclosed in a package or stored away for a time. Pearls are endlessly fascinating!

Back